News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RE C&O H-5 2-6-6-2

Started by Ozzie21, August 25, 2008, 09:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzie21

To BnoBob, A little research may solve you dilema. The model Bachmann produce is of the USRA light mallet. C&O purchased about 25 of these locos and the came without backup lights. The backup lights were fitted later in the locomotives service life as tenders were swapped about but as originally recieved they didn't have any. The H-6 class recieved from Baldwin in 1948 did have backup lights but they were ordered that way.
As for the sound well it's a default setting that allows you to tune the loco to suit.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

bnobob

Mr Emerson, thank you for that info on the backup light. After contacting Sound traxx I was informed that this Tsunami is a modified unit they call the mini as there are lots of the programmable features NOT there. Instead of 8 different whisles, there are only three.Rule 17 programs differently also. Frustration factor was high until I got the correct
information from Sound traxx which Bachmann does not supply. Was told by a service person at Bachmann after I finally got some one to answer a phone instead of voice mail, that the CV's available are on the web site so I'll go find them and download that bit of information.

SteamGene

Charles may be right, but I'm thinking the H-5s never got back up lights, just like they didn't get upgraded tenders.  The C&O didn't like the H-5.  My personal theory is that they were just too close in performance to the H-4/H-6 and the C&O was miffed. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ozzie21

Gene, I had a phone conversation with an old C&O hogger and I did ask about the dislike shown for the h-5 mallets. he reckoned they were too light on their feet, were fuel hogs and wouldn't pull as good as an H-4 or 6. It was a very interesting converstaion that covered nearly two hours and his fifty years in railroading. It was all the more interesting as he came from Alabama and I'm from Scotland, we nearly had to have translators.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: SteamGene on August 25, 2008, 09:55:21 PM
Charles may be right, but I'm thinking the H-5s never got back up lights, just like they didn't get upgraded tenders.  The C&O didn't like the H-5.  My personal theory is that they were just too close in performance to the H-4/H-6 and the C&O was miffed. 
Gene

SteamGene

You sure you didn't need translators? 
You heard, didn't you that all the stores in Alabama that sold ammo ran out last Saturday.  One guy leaving with several cases said "The Russians might invade Georgia, but they sure as h--- won't get into Alabama." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I'm glad that joke was told by someone who lives south of the Potomac. We can't use the Mason-Dixon any more, Maryland is now sided with the North.

The USSR may be gone, but I still have my VHS of "Red Dawn".

(And the safe is full of ammo)

Sheldon