News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big hauler R/C

Started by bjeasleysr, August 25, 2008, 10:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjeasleysr

I was just givin a Bachman Big Hauler R/C set with plastic track. I needto know ifit still possible toobtain a manual and perhaps more track?

Thank you

MKBLK

I don't know about a manual, but you certainly can get more track. Ebay is probably the best source for old Bachmann all plastic track. It's actually pretty nice stuff and I use it in my coal mining operation (no power). But, you can use any "G" scale No.1 gauge track. Bachmann steel track (indoors only!) or Aristocraft or LGB or... on and on.

On a different note: I, too, have an old (very old) Bachmann R/C 4-6-0. It actually runs quite well but expect glitches from the radio. It has come in quite handy when the grandkids show up without warning and want to see something run. I've also used it while our electrical expert toiled with getting track power. One time I scared the !@#$ out of him when he saw that 10 wheeler barreling down a track that supposedly had no juice!

Bottom line: Enjoy the train, but be ready to move up to some more reliable equipment.

MKBLK

Loco Bill Canelos

MKBLK,

You put a battery in the transmitter (9v)I think.   You put C Cells in the boiler.  You remove the back of the boiler from inside the cab to get to the battery compartment.  Some sets came with an adaptor to allow use of a rechargable battery pack.   As I  recall you turn on the loco first then the transmitter.

Hopefully this will get you srarted.  I too recommend Ebay for the track.  Bachmann steel alloy track is very cheap and you can get switches too!!

Good luck with your train.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

MKBLK

BJ -

I just thought of something very important to pass on to you (and anybody else still running these R/C 4-6-0's):

Traction Tires! You need or will shortly need them for this loco. I believe that Bachmann no longer offers them, however, AristoCraft tires work just fine. Don't buy just a pair - stock up! Rubber bands won't work for more than a couple of minutes. Installing the traction tires is very easy, just don't lose the pins holding the side rods on to the drivers. Gently pull them out (they're a press fit), slip the new tire on (you may need a screwdriver or a couple of round toothpicks) and reinstall the side rod and pin... you're done! Enjoy!

MK

Barry BBT

Just a simple correction, the boiler accepts "D" cells and if I recall correctly it needs six of them.  Of course the ( volt in the transmitter.

If anyone needs the plastic push pins for the rod pins, I have a couple of thousand.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Barry,

it is D Cells, It has been quite a while since I have actually seen one.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

Bill,

Good call.  I had to bear down to remeber the number of cells needed.

And anticipating movin up also a good call, I did (in 1988).

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.