News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with Heavy Mountain

Started by Jim2903, August 26, 2008, 01:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim2903

I'm having trouble with a factory sound-equipped Spectrum Heavy Mountain (SP with Hicken) that I recently picked up second hand. The sound is fantastic -- beautiful, deep, throaty chuffs, which continue even after the loco comes to an abrupt halt without cutting off the throttle (I use a Digitrax Zephyr). A shove gets the engine moving again, but not for long. Since the sound stays on, I can be sure it's not an electrical problem. I'm guessing there's a bind in the side rods or the gears. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who may have experienced a similar problem and can recommend a solution. Thanks ...
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

SteamGene

Have you looked at the siderods?  Have you tried moving them in and out to check for a bind? As strange as this may sound, have you made sure that all the siderods are actually attached at both ends?  I had one rod on a light Mountain come loose. A siderod jammed between two ties stops the locomotive! 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ozzie21

Check the two plugs under the cab. They may not be pushed fully home.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: Jim2903 on August 26, 2008, 01:56:38 AM
I'm having trouble with a factory sound-equipped Spectrum Heavy Mountain (SP with Hicken) that I recently picked up second hand. The sound is fantastic -- beautiful, deep, throaty chuffs, which continue even after the loco comes to an abrupt halt without cutting off the throttle (I use a Digitrax Zephyr). A shove gets the engine moving again, but not for long. Since the sound stays on, I can be sure it's not an electrical problem. I'm guessing there's a bind in the side rods or the gears. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who may have experienced a similar problem and can recommend a solution. Thanks ...

Jim2903

D'oh! I'm embarassed to admit that this was the problem. Careless me ... but the loco runs perfectly now ... however, headlamp and backup light still don't work (didn't mention that in my original message) ... thanks for the kick in the pants, Charles  ;D

Jim

Quote from: Ozzie21 on August 26, 2008, 02:19:57 PM

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

Rashputin

I have several Heavy Mountains that I want to put decoders in as I got them prior to Bachmann offering them so equipped.  Do you know which decoder they have in the factory equipped ones?  Your description of the sound got my attention as the only decoder I tested was anything but deep and didn't seem to fit the bill for an engine as large as a Mountain.

Regards

SteamGene

Sound equipted Bachmanns have a modified Tsunami which is not sold as a separate decoder.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ozzie21

Jim you may have to check the programming. There should have been a CD that came with the loco. On that CD you'll most if not all the programming information you'll need. I don't have list with me at present, I'm at work but as you go through the CD you'll find the relevant information on what CV's need setting.

Regards
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: Jim2903 on August 26, 2008, 11:59:05 PM
D'oh! I'm embarassed to admit that this was the problem. Careless me ... but the loco runs perfectly now ... however, headlamp and backup light still don't work (didn't mention that in my original message) ... thanks for the kick in the pants, Charles  ;D

Jim

Quote from: Ozzie21 on August 26, 2008, 02:19:57 PM

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Ozzie21

I guess it depends what you mean by deep. I used a medium steam tnsumai with a pair of QSI high bass speakers in the Kanawah and a pair of Panasonic ovals in the mountains. To get a really bass sound to the loco you have to get into the equaliser CV's and start playing with them and the reverb. I have done this with several locos of the same class and I can get them all to sound a little bit different from each other. It's a time consuming effort but worth it.

Charles merson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: Rashputin on August 27, 2008, 07:58:52 AM
     I have several Heavy Mountains that I want to put decoders in as I got them prior to Bachmann offering them so equipped.  Do you know which decoder they have in the factory equipped ones?  Your description of the sound got my attention as the only decoder I tested was anything but deep and didn't seem to fit the bill for an engine as large as a Mountain.

Regards