News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Light Mountain Sound

Started by kibort, August 26, 2008, 04:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kibort

I have installed a Loksound Micro into the Heavy Mountain tender. This was relatively easy since the PC board and all motor and headlight wiring is accessible in the tender.  I want to install sound into a Light Mountain (do not have the locomotive yet) but understand it is not wired the same (not really DCC ready). Wanted to see if anyone has put sound (Loksound or Tsunami) into the Light Mountain and would have any input to this process.  Thanks

Frisco

Does the heavy mountain have a 8 pin plug , 6 pin plug or is the decoder hard wired in?

kibort

I bought the Heavy mountain with the factory decoder (Stupid move since I knew I was going to put a new decoder into it so I have the factory decoder in the parts drawer).  The unit came with the PC board and decoder wired to the board in the tender. I simply unsoldered the factory decoder off the board and then soldered the Loksound to the factory board (the manual has the board/wiring schematic). It works great and sounds great. I can not recall if the board had a pin or not and the parts diagram is not handy at the moment.  I used the Loksound Rectangular speaker (the one that comes on the decoder and had to slight modify the coal bunker to get the speaker under the coal load. The modification also allowed a opening for the sound to escape. This is one of my better sounding (and running) locomotives.

Quote from: Frisco on August 27, 2008, 03:24:02 PM
Does the heavy mountain have a 8 pin plug , 6 pin plug or is the decoder hard wired in?

kibort

Thought I would post an update on installing a Loksound Micro in the tender of this unit.  There is plenty of room. Installation is relatively easy and it sounds great. BUT.... and this is a big but..... when the locomotive was designed  there was some flawed thinking.  Although the locomotive has a split frame and it appears the motor is isolated, in reality it is not. There is insufficient clearance and no insulation between the motor contacts and wire leads on the left (Firemans) side between the motor and frame. An intermittent short occurs between the motor contact/leads and the frame. The only solution to this is to disassemble the entire locomotive and then fully isolate/insulate the motor leads from the frame. Not an easy task and not recommended to modelers inexperienced in disassembling steam locomotive drivers and running gear.  The other issue is the tender weight and how the weight is installed. Not the best arrangement for electrical components in the tender.  The new DCC ready tenders would likely make all this easier but still does not solve the motor isolation issue. I have done two of these and both units had the same motor isolation problem. 

kibort

Probably my last update to this thread. I have now done 2 Loksound installations in the light mountain.  Both required the insulating of the motor from the frame.  However,  these locomotives have absolutely no pulling power.  The Heavy Mountain can handle 20 cars on level grade the light mountain is lucky to get 8.  I would not recommend installing sound in these units (waste of decoder money) based on the poor pulling performance. They look really nice, sound is very nice but too much trouble to do the installation with the motor isolation problem and the lack of pulling power.