can you identify my train set please

Started by adventuredog, August 27, 2008, 06:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventuredog

I just purchased a fantastic train set but it has no instruction book and i don't know what gauge it is. The steam engine is approx 18" inches long from the cow catcher to the rear overhang of the cab roof, it has a number 12 on it. The coal car, box car, log carrier and caboose are all marked union pacific. The engine has a tag on it, says something about how to use smoke oil. Any help you can give me would be appreciated! Do you sell any box cars or other stuff that is marked Milwaukee Road?

Jim Banner

How many wheels on the locomotive?  How are they arranged?  For example, 4 small ones, then 6 large ones?  Or what?  What is the distance between the rails (inside of one rail to the inside of the other rail) either in millimeters or in inches?  Are there two rails or three?  That would get us started.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe Satnik

Sounds like you have some kind of Bachmann Big Hauler G scale train set. 

Can you post pictures, or a link to those pictures?

Pictures of everything in the set, if possible.

Did the set come in a display box?  Does it show an item number?

Most Bachmann G sets have a 5 digit item number (9xxxx) that is just to the right of the retractable plastic handle on the top of the display box.

There is a UP Buddy L set that is currently on sale, but it doesn't perfectly match the description that you gave.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Santa Fe buff

Nothing off that description checks out in the HO scale department, I'll try On30...
- Joshua Bauer

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on August 28, 2008, 07:52:08 AM
Nothing off that description checks out in the HO scale department, I'll try On30...

Well I believe he may have an older set, for all Union  Pacific sets don't match that description. Good luck all, I tried every scale, with my luck, someone will find something I missed.
- Joshua Bauer

adventuredog

The engine has 6 large drive wheels and 4 small ones in front. the track measures 45mm between the rails. The coal car has a battery powered searchlight on it. It is in a box marked QVC. It looks like the original packaging, there are foam cutouts that the cars fit into. I would really like to get some CMSTP&P cars for this set, my Dad was a dispatcher.

Guilford Guy

It sounds like an old Bachmann Big Hauler set. Try ebay for C M St. P &P equipment.
Alex

the Bach-man

Dear Dog,
It sounds like a Golden Classics Milwaukee Road Slim Princess set. You should be able to find the other cars at shows or on eBay.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Loco Bill Canelos

There is not enough information to identify the items.   

While it appears to be G Scale, There was no Bachmann G Scale set with all cars and the loco marked UP.  Bachmann has never made a G scale log car

I 'm guessing this "set"  is actually a seperately purchased lot of UP items from more than one manufacturer or a Buddy L set or items.

Pictures will be necessary.

here is a list of all milwaukee road items by Bachmann:

90094   CMStP&P   Set   1994   ^ Set   Milwaukee Road
91294   CMStP&P   3   1994   ~ Loco   4-6-0, MILW
93715   CMStP&P   906   1994   Gondola   Chicago Milwaukee St. Paul & Pacific
97115   CMStP&P   8   1998   P Combine   Chicago, Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific
97215   CMStP&P   12   1994   P-Coach   Chicago, Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific
97315   CMStP&P   14   1994   P-Obs   Chicago, Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific
97415   CMStP&P   1   1998   P Baggage   Chicago, Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific
98115   CMStP&P   167   1994   Stock Car   CM St.P&P

Here is a list of all Bachmann UP items that I know about:

90014   UP   Set   1989   ^ Set   Prairie Flyer
90026   UP   Set   1996   ^ Set   Golden Spike w/ UP Stock Car
90098   UP   Set   1991   ^ Set   Union Pacific
91101   UP   19   1989   ~ Loco   2-4-2, with tender, Union Pacific
91298   UP   12   1996   ~ Loco   4-6-0, Union Pacific
91298   UP   25   1991?   ~ Loco   4-6-0, Union Pacific
93101   UP   425   1996   Caboose4   4 whl, Union Pacific
93201   UP   24014   2003   Refrigerator   Union Pacific Tiffany
93225   UP   24014   1994   Refrigerator   Union Pacific Tiffany
93301   UP   95764   1989   Box Car   Union Pacific
93851   UP   3813   1996   Caboose   8 whl, Union Pacific
97101   UP   554   1989   P Combine   Union Pacific (black trucks) Tuscan
97201   UP   628   1989   P-Coach   Union Pacific (black trucks) Tuscan
97298   UP   628   1991   P-Coach   Union Pacific (silver trucks)
97301   UP   628   1989   P-Obs   Union Pacific (black trucks)
97398   UP   628   1991   P-Obs   Union Pacific (silver trucks)
97401   UP   119   1992   P Baggage   Union Pacific (black trucks) Tuscan
98101   UP   576   1991   Stock Car   Union Pacific
98201   UP   37199   1991   Hopper   3 bay, Union Pacific  modern lettering
98301   UP   57114   1996   Flat Car   Piggy Back, Union Pacific
None   UP   554   1989   P Combine   Union Pacific (black trucks)

I may have missed some UP passenger cars. will check later!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Mike

Loco Bill- I hate to challenge you, but I have some Bachmann large scale log cars. I believe they came in sets with an engine, tender, box car and caboose. I'll dig around in my boxes and see if I can get more information for you. -Mike

frank moorhead

at least one clue is the reference to QVC.  there used to be a relationship to the shopping channel. i am embarassed that i don't recall the bachmann rep's name ???. i believe he moved on to another train related company.
frank

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike. 

I forgot to preview my message and apologize for my typo.  Bachmann made many log cars, what I meant to say was Union Pacific log cars!!

If you find a Union Pacific Log car made by Bachmann please send me a photo of the car, The Bachmann item number and a picture of the box end if you can.

Frank, 

If Bachmann ever made a special set for the shopping channel I would love to know about it!!!!

Barry BBT

Bachmann,

The Golden Classic Milwaukee Road set was just four pieces, the loco, tender, pass. car, observation car.  In the set, I do believe they catalogged other cars, but I don't know that they ever produced them.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Barry,

This is what I have in the historical file about the set and add on cars

The Bachmann Golden Classics Milwaukee Road set 90094 was never in the catalog.

The coach #12 and the Observation #14 were never in the catalog as seperate items either. 

The add on cars the full baggage #1 Bachmann Item 97415 and combine #8 Bachmann Item 97115 were produced much later and sold in seperate boxes.   The add on cars were never in the catalog either.

Set 90094 was produced in a limited edition of 3600 sets.  I don't know how many of the add on cars were made , but judging by how hard they are to find I;m guessing less than 3600, maybe much less.

I have very few pictures of the add on cars, one of these days I'll have to figure out how to post a picture!!

Regards,