News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

20th Century Limited

Started by WGL, August 28, 2008, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

The FL-9 locomotives were purchased by the New Haven RR so that they didn't have to change locomotives when entering the NYC tunnels. The New York Central changed from electric to diesel at Croton- Harmon.

The Hudson line freights ran diesels in the city. A WPA project enlarged a park to go over the tracks - now called Riverside Park. There were ventilation gratings all up and down the upper levels of the park.

The Pennsy went  electric all the way to Harrisburg. I think the NH may have had locomotive facilities in Bridgeport.

Even today the Long Island has dual electric/diesel locomotives running on its non electrified lines.

By the way, speaking of NYC law about steam engines, did you know that the first law requiring a bell on a locomotive was passed in Long Island?

SteamGene

Now why would somebody make up a video to honor the NYC and fill it with modern stuff from long after the giant fell?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Santa Fe buff

Probably to show the outcome of the great NYC empire.  :-\ I think I would be much better with NYC pictures...
- Joshua Bauer

NewYorkCentralgirl

i model the 20th century limited but none of the models have satisfied me mainly cause none of them have the scullin disk wheels i like on the hudson

Dr EMD

All of Walthers name train so far are diesel powered. Hopefully they will match it with a P2K steam locomotive....someday!
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

So far no P2K steam locomotive normally pulled a passenger train.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

There were only a few steam engines released in the Heritage line so far.

Makes one realize how many steam engines have been released by BLI and Bachmann Spectrum in comparison.

I am sure if there appears to be a market(profit) that an appropriate Heritage steamer will eventually make its way into the market. And of course the appropriate passenger cars as well.
Pacific Northern

Guilford Guy

Like B&M 2-6-0's!  :D
Heritage steam seems to similar... I can't put my finger on it but the 2-8-4's, 2-8-8-2's, and 0-8-0's all have a very similar look to them...
Alex

ebtnut

There have been some brass NYC Hudsons made in the past with the Scullin disks.  Keep your eyes open at train shows--you might find one at a price not too far from today's Bachmann/BLI/P2K models.  IIRC, Rivarossi did the streamlined Hudson, but like most all of the older models the drivers were undersized and they didn't run very well.

Pacific Northern

Perhaps Bachmann in their Spectrum line will release a Hudson steam engine. 

I know that Rivarossi was supposed to re-release the Hudson this year - according to their web site. If the did they were few and far, just like their re-released 60' coach sets.

Bachmann certainly seems to be the leader in new steamers, second only to MTH. But then again you can not compare the two.
Pacific Northern

NewYorkCentralgirl

i hope so i want a reasonably priced loco which is what bachmann is best at

Santa Fe buff

I hope they do reslease a Hudson too. My friends NYC J3r is sputtering that of a Life-Like standard line locomotive. As a matter of fact, it dosen't even run anymore! :o
Perhaps a bit of lubercant... :-\ 'Til then, I guess 'o Hudson is retired... :-\ *shigh*

- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

A Hudson?  Which one?  NYC?  C&O?  Milwaukee Road Baltic?  Santa Fe? 
Concor has a nice generic. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

pdlethbridge

20th Century Limited Hudson of course