News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann and 1/29 standard gauge

Started by SMonson, August 28, 2008, 12:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMonson

Bachmann's Spectrum locomotives are so nice, both in detail and in their smooth running.  I would love to see some new items compatible with all of the Aristo and USA Trains 1/29 rolling stock that is now available.  Mid and late standard gauge steam locomotives.  There has to be a huge market.  Aristo has their Mike and Pacific, but it doesn't compare to my Bachmann Climax in either running or detail. 

Or if that is too big a step, how about a standard gauge Shay.   There were huge numbers of Shays built to standard guage.  To bring out something similar in quality to the 38 ton Shay in standard gauge should not be so hard for Bachmann.  The 1:20.3 items are just too big to run along side 1/29.

Is this a possibility, or  does Bachmann want to specialize in 1:20.3.  Thanks. 
Steve

Danny Sheehan in Oz

I do not believe that Bachmann seeks to be all things to all people, what they do,  they do well.   Catering for a  Narrow gauge market, there are more than enough manufacturers catering for Standard Gauge modellers, even if most have a incorrect scale/gauge combination!

altterrain

Probably as much a possibility as Aristo and USAT getting into the 1:20.3 market.  :D

-Brian
President of

Frisco

I don't see them doing it but I am sure they would do a nice job if they did.

Paul W.

If I'm not mistaken, this same topic came up last year sometime, and Bachmann has specialized in narrow guage RR'ing, and is doing a GREAT job. The product is great quality, and much more affordable than other manufacturers.
Bachmann has made a big step in moving forward with the 1:20.3 line of engines and rolling stock and I couldn't imagine that they would want to move away from it when there are so many other NG engines lot's of us would like to see in 1:20.3!
Happy Steamin'

Paul

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
We think Lewis and Charlie are doing a great job in 1:29 (I personally have most of their locos and scores of cars) and we have no plans of leaving our Narrow Gauge niche.
On my railroad, I simply run one scale at a time.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Mark Oles

Steve,

QuoteI would love to see some new items compatible with all of the Aristo and USA Trains 1/29 rolling stock that is now available.

By compatible, do you mean like this?

Thats a Bachmann 1:20.3 4-4-0 pulling a string of aristo 1/29 equipment (and more than the prototype could have pulled!).  She actually pulled like 15 cars on my railroad, and that's got a nasty steep grade in the middle of it.

Mark

Spule 4

Quote from: the Bach-man on August 28, 2008, 10:22:40 PM
Dear Steve,
We think Lewis and Charlie are doing a great job in 1:29 (I personally have most of their locos and scores of cars) and we have no plans of leaving our Narrow Gauge niche.
On my railroad, I simply run one scale at a time.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

So I guess the 1:29 QJ came in under the radar?

http://www.45mm.jp/page178.html
Garrett

the Bach-man

Dear Spule,
Presumably that's a Bachmann China project, not one of ours here in the US.
I guess I'll be needing one of those...
; )
the Bach-man

SMonson

Thank you.  Those are good replies.  But since Bachmann is the Shay expert, maybe they could sneak in a standard gauge Shay when no one was looking. Steve

glennk28

Bachmann seems to have found a niche.  Perhaps someone in the "aftermarket" area might come up with a kit to re-work the Fn3 Shays to 1:29 standard gauge locos--changing cabs, other parts as needed,.  gj

SMonson

Shays varied so much in size that a proper cab, stack and headlight would make a locomotive acceptable to most 1/29 guys.  Steve

Lee Carlson

Well, if it's in 1:29 scale and runs on
gauge 1 (45 mm) track, it's still going
to be narrow gauge!
Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

charon

Amen, Lee,
I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Hagen

There's always the Bachmann brassworks range of 1/32 locomotives