News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reasons for Bachmann to make a K-27

Started by Frisco, August 28, 2008, 07:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

Here are my reasons for Bachmann to make one....... The MMI ones sold well so you know their is market for them. The only ones made (the MMI's) are really $$$$$$ almost $600. It could be easily adapted to other roads locomotives(RGS,WP&YR, and EBT. It would get you buisness from those of us who don't wan't "critters" and other small locomotives.You already have the information to make it from the G scale one. If any-one else can think of reasons that I can't think of please post them to show support for this great locomotive!!!!!!!!!!

ossygobbin

would rather have a srrl 24 why make something thats already available.
dont think a 24 is available from anyone at bachmann prices.

Dusten Barefoot

Yeah, I am with Ossy. Toooo many western roads out there, and most of them are already made.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Frisco

Quote from: Dusten Barefoot on August 29, 2008, 08:26:30 PM
Yeah, I am with Ossy. Toooo many western roads out there, and most of them are already made.
Other than the 2-6-0 which ones from Bachmann?

Hamish K

If other people cover the field, why should Bachmann repeat existing products?

I doubt that Bachmann could produce a K27 and sell it for much less than the MMI models. It is a large locomotive that would be out of place on many layouts - this would limit sales.  It is unlikely to cope with sharp curves - again this would limit sales.  (You may not like small layouts with sharp curves but there are quite a few such ON30 layouts out there). MMI has already taken some of the market for a K27, again a limit to sales. 

With likely sales limited by the above factors, and the loco large and thus relativley expensive to make, for Bachmann to make a profit prices would need to be higher than for a smaller loco,  probably close to the MMI price.

Hamish

mmiller

Quote from: Frisco on August 29, 2008, 08:57:56 PM
Quote from: Dusten Barefoot on August 29, 2008, 08:26:30 PM
Other than the 2-6-0 which ones from Bachmann?

exactly...

and I remember the "it's too big" argument from large scale folks back in the 80's when the biggest loco around with the LGB Mogul...

now I don't really think an On30 K-27 should be on the front burner for Bachmann... but I'm glad to see they haven't given up on larger On30 locos and hope to see many more "big" On30 engines from Bachmann...

personally I think a Baldwin inside frame 2-8-0 would be good choice (maybe one that's prototype ran north of the Rio Grande river and west of the Mississippi  ;D )...
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Tomcat

Hi all!

Sure would love to see a K-27 so greatly done like Bachmann´s G-Scale Mudhen...
MMI´s have sold pretty well and still do. Prices have fallen down to 299 $ and I´m sure that the PSC/MMI people hadn´t expected that...

But the MMI engines all have some disadvantages in operating them and I´m sure: Bachman could do much better!!!! Not to blame the MMI folks, but...  Or - Bach-man, take the Outside frame of the Consolidation and make something different: A DRGW C-21 or a C-25...

Beeing a D&RGW&RGS Modeller, I would love to see something "Western", BUT:

Ossy is right: And having a Maine Theme Module too, I definitely would love to see SR&RL No.24 to come from Bachman. The Forneys are little gems, please give some more Maine Stuff to the people out there...

Tom

ricka1

I'd go for an inside frame 2-8-0 along the lines of the Pacific Coast RR Baldwins which I think were very similar to the D&RG's C-19. Some possibilities there, and a perfect match for some of the PCRR rolling stock we already have.

Thoughts?

Rick

mmiller

Rick...those were the exact 2-8-0's I was thinking of ;)

mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Frisco

Quote from: ossygobbin on August 29, 2008, 03:58:04 PM
would rather have a srrl 24 why make something thats already available.
dont think a 24 is available from anyone at bachmann prices.
There isn't a K-27 avalible at Bachmann prices etheir.

ossygobbin

(There isn't a K-27 avalible at Bachmann prices etheir.)

and there probably wont be one either unless you pick up a MMI cheap

Chatzi473

I say if backmann did a k-27 they should do the every early looking ones that way they are different then the MMI k-27. When the DRGW first had the k-27s built they look completely different. A lot of people do not realize they where built in 1903 and where then also rebuilt to what they look like now. some of the early ones had the oil headlights and slope back tenders. THen also then had regular tender.

that is a pic when they where first built as Vulcain compounds.

then they changed to Stephenson valve gear

then finally they got to be rebuilt to what we know today as a k-27 and the ones MMI models. I say Bachman should do and earlier model of the k-27s so it can be cheeper and also different then MMI

I got the pics and that from this site that explains a little more about the history of then engines http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/PSC/MMI/K27_inboard/k27_history.htm

I also like the idea of the 2-8-0 that someone posted but also maybe make them also look like the real early 1880s 2-8-0s

Chatzi473

and i think if they did the early k-27 i bet some kitbasher can have a great deal of fun doing stuff to it so it fits their railroad.

Frisco

Quote from: mmiller on August 30, 2008, 12:23:44 PM

This would not be my first choice but would be a good comprimise as it could be used as a D&RGW C class (also used on the RGS and C&S), the Pacific Coast Railway or a upscale logging oporation.

Frisco

Quote from: Hamish K on August 29, 2008, 11:17:58 PM
It is a large locomotive that would be out of place on many layouts - this would limit sales.  It is unlikely to cope with sharp curves - again this would limit sales.  (You may not like small layouts with sharp curves but there are quite a few such ON30 layouts out there).
Hamish
Yes it is a large locomotive but there are a lot of people who don't mind this.I don't think it could do 18" curves but neither can the Forney and since MMI could make it do 26" the creative people at Bachmann could probaly make it do 22".Most of all I do like small railroads with sharp curves this is just not what I have chosen to model.I think the work the small layout croud does is verry nice but I feal that they have gotton more than their fare share of locomotives.