News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reasons for Bachmann to make a K-27

Started by Frisco, August 28, 2008, 07:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomcat

And - MMI never came out with the correct RGS 455 post-wreck which would be a cool item to have for all those RGS Modellers out there. Same with the only K-27 with a Doghouse: MMI never did the correct D&RGW 453...

I say: Have a look at Bachmann´s Fn3 Beauties.... That brings me to the point that I would get crazy if Bachman comes out one day with On30 K-27´s...
Do have 2 MMI Engines already, but I would get myself three more if...

Cheers, TOM

Chatzi473

well then bachmann can make the correct versions of those engines and then also make the really old styles of the K-27s also.

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

One thing that always amazes me about the discussion about On30 modeling is how it seems as if equipment made should be able to do very tight radii.   I guess if you are a true On30 modeler,  then that is where your engine niche falls.   But.....there are many of us out here using On30 as a cheap man's On3.   That means we are not running a lot of critters and smaller engines.
        While I would love to see what Bachmann could do with a K27,  I would more so love to see them do an EBT 2-8-2.   Even more so,  though,  would be to see an EBT 2-6-2.
        Anyway,  it is fun to speculate about future Bachmann projects and no matter which avenue you approach this subject on,   there is always room for discussion and dreaming.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Hamish K

ON30 modellers are a very diverse lot. I see it as a series of niche markets'i.These  include (in no particular order) those modelling small industrial layouts, those who like larger scales than HO but have limited space, freelance narrow gaugers who just want easy narrow gauge, "poor man's" ON3ers who model speicific 3 foot gauge railroads, those modelling the few american and larger number of overseas 30 inch gauge lines, "poor man's" ON2ers mainly modelling Maine, Christmas village enthusiasts who see ON30 as the ideal trains to go with their villages and the original ON30 types who love kit bashing HO models, and now also bash Bachmann ON30 products. There are probably many others as well. The ideal locomotive for Bachmann will appeal to as many of these groups as possible. (Probably no one locomotive will appeal to all.)

Large locomotives requiring large radius will rule out several of the above groups. On the other hand small locomotives may sometimes  be bought by those more interested in larger locos for use as a switcher, for an industry, for light service or whatever. So a preference by Bachmann for smallish locomotives is understandable.  This is not to say that some large locomotives may not sell quite well, just that the potential market is a bit limited. In the case of a K27, as another manufacturer has already made it, part of its potential market is already satisfied. That these K27s are currently available at highly discounted prices illustrates this. So scope for Bachmann to make a profit from one seems unlikely. (Note that this other manufacturer has a very different operation than Bachmann and makes much smaller runs of locomotives than Bachmann needs for a profit.)

Other large locomotives might sell well enough to be worthwhile for Bachmann, but would require strong support from those groups who could use it, i.e those with large curves modelling 3 foot gauge prototypes. I expect that Bachmann will wait and see how the 4-6-0 sells before making any other large locomotives - and remember that K series mikados, EBT 2-8-2 s and the like are quite a lot larger than the Bachmann 4-6-0.

Hamish

Frisco

Quote from: Hamish K on September 02, 2008, 08:46:06 PM

On the other hand small locomotives may sometimes  be bought by those more interested in larger locos for use as a switcher, for an industry, for light service or whatever. So a preference by Bachmann for smallish locomotives is understandable. 
True but if the people who model large locomotives only have switchers and no mainline locomotives then they don't have much of a railroad.

finderskeepers

I say forget it, MMI has already done at least 3 runs of K-27 engines both inboard and outboard piston types. For those of you pining for a small 2-8-0, BLI already did a 2-8-0, and MMI has done a C-19 2-8-0 and has promised further runs of c-18 and c-17 engines, so Bachmann is not likely going do re-invent the wheel. This is not HO where multiple manufacturers make F-7 and F-9 engines. Bachmann would be far better off to make a heisler, the 2-6-6-2 articulated that it announced in 1:20.3 in On30, and different versions of its ten-wheelers.  Sorry to be a killjoy, but K-27s, and 2-8-0's  already exist.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Speaking of the MMI K27,   if anyone has one out there,  I found the coal load from the Bachmann 2 bay hopper makes a perfect coal load for the tender.   Cut off about 1.5 inches of the load,  angle cut the bottom at one end to meet the slope sheet of the tender,  cover with coal from Woodland Scenics,  etc and there you have it and removeable also.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

C.S.R.R. Manager

I think a Bachmann K-27 is a good idea, if they can produce it at a considerably lower price than the MMI.  But I think it would be more profitable for Bachmann if they waited for at least a couple of years, so that the market isn't full of MMI locos.  And I do agree that there are other On30 candidates that would be better in the short-term.  The oft-mentioned Heisler, something articulated, maybe a loco from Hawaii would be excellent choices.

Royce Wilson

Bachmann, I would personally pefer a Mason Bogie, but if you made a Puffing Billy it would sell!   thats one neat locomotive! classic lines, is a tank engine for the guys with limited space, just a beautiful little engine!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Royce Wilson

Royce Wilson

Am I the only one intrested in the puffing billy? :o

Royce Wilson

Frisco

I agree that they should maby waite a couple of years but if they started now then it would be ready by then.

C.S.R.R. Manager

I forgot the Mason Bogie -- I know I would be interested in that.  There would be some great paint scheme possibilities, and I'm guessing the pivoting drive wheels would allow for tight curves.  I'm guessing that would also be an engineering challenge, but Bachmann should know how to handle that.  And I also like the Puffing Billy, or an Americanized version of the same.

drgw268

Quote from: finderskeepers on September 04, 2008, 08:29:07 AM
I say forget it, MMI has already done at least 3 runs of K-27 engines both inboard and outboard piston types. For those of you pining for a small 2-8-0, BLI already did a 2-8-0, and MMI has done a C-19 2-8-0 and has promised further runs of c-18 and c-17 engines, so Bachmann is not likely going do re-invent the wheel. This is not HO where multiple manufacturers make F-7 and F-9 engines. Bachmann would be far better off to make a heisler, the 2-6-6-2 articulated that it announced in 1:20.3 in On30, and different versions of its ten-wheelers.  Sorry to be a killjoy, but K-27s, and 2-8-0's  already exist.

But none of those locos are available from their manufacturers on a regular basis.  MMI has released a K-27 a K-28, another K-27, a C-19, and most recently a K-36.  Their announced engines will take several years to work through, and the K-27 is not on that list.  Broadway is all limited run, and while there are some still in the channel, availability is spotty. 

Bachmann's K-27 would no doubt be cheaper than MMI's, as the level of detail will not be as high.  The MMI locos are basically brass locos made out of die-cast metal instead of brass.  Broadway's commitment to On30 is weak at best.

I do agree that a K-27 shouldn't be their first priority for larger steam, but it should be in the pipeline. 

NarrowGSouth

I'd like to see the Bladwin USATC S118 2-8-2's used on the White Pass. Specifically I would like to see a configuration with the postwar White Pass Modifications. For those who do not know what I am talking about, take a look at these photos.

Tweetsie Railroad #190
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_zLrRmvB3WOg/RuYH-_spW8I/AAAAAAAAAJM/z3lJONcZZUQ/100_0237.JPG

Dollywood #192
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/2099587822_b66e731883.jpg?v=0

A model of #190 and #192 in their respective tourist schemes, as seen in the above photos, would be great as well.

However, being the well-rounded person I am, I would like to see Bachmann make some British )n30 products, such as locomotives from the Talyllyn Railway, the Ffestiniong Railway, or any of the other several british narrow gauge engines.

ngsouth