Engines squeaking when stopping

Started by DominicMazoch, August 29, 2008, 12:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DominicMazoch

This is a thread over on the OGR Boards.

There seems to be some Williams engines which seem to have a squealing noise when they are stopping.  Have you heard about this, and is there a simple solution like oiling something?

Thanks,

3rail

Hi Dominic,

I read the thread on the OGR board.  It was regarding squealing after a series wiring modification.  I have wired some locomotives in series and have not had a problem. 

The squeaking could be a number of things.  First step would be to return to the original wiring  configuration to see if that is causing the problem.  Next try the following:

1. Check to see if the flywheel is rubbing on the inside of the shell.
2. The worm gear could be rubbing on the inside of the motor mount. Remove motor from truck, remove motor mount from motor, and use a round file to enlarge the circular opening of the motor mount.  Don't over do it.
3. DO NOT OIL the Motor armature.  This was necessary with old style Lionel motors but it is not recommended for can motors.
4. Check  to make sure motors are properly seated into trucks.  After re-attaching them to the truck manually turn the flywheel to make sure the wheels on the truck turn .
5. Check for any binding parts.  A bent sideframe can contact the wheel and cause a squealing noise.  On 4 wheel trucks the sideframes are mounted on a sheet metal bolster and you can make some minor adjustments to the clearance if necessary.  Do not attempt to bend the sideframes on 6-wheel trucks, call service for a replacement part.

If all else fails send it in to our service department.

Regards

DominicMazoch

OK, I've pasted your answer over to the ORG thread.

DominicMazoch

Also, if you use the Lionel TMCC in Conv., and set up the PowerMaster or TPC for stall and max voltage, you can get very precise control of Williams motive power.   Have NOT used Legacy/TPC combo, but I expect the same thing.