News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bidding wars

Started by pdlethbridge, August 30, 2008, 01:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Have you ever seen some of the idiots that buy stuff on E-bay? They get into a bidding war on an item the could get from the same store for $40+ less. I just saw a Bachmann spectrum 4-6-0 sell for $112+ in a bidding war, but they could have bought the exact same engine for $75 in the buy it now price. ::) :o

Jim Banner

Once the testosterone starts flowing ...
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Stupid is as stupid does :-[

Yampa Bob

I only go to auctions to watch the idiots.  For some it's an addiction, like gambling.  I once saw a guy pay $90 each for a bunch of beat up corral panels, new ones are about $60.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Perhaps he liked the odor of the old panels.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: pdlethbridge on August 30, 2008, 01:11:17 AM
Have you ever seen some of the idiots that buy stuff on E-bay? They get into a bidding war on an item the could get from the same store for $40+ less. I just saw a Bachmann spectrum 4-6-0 sell for $112+ in a bidding war, but they could have bought the exact same engine for $75 in the buy it now price. ::) :o

Strange, did you notice the winning bid was also the first bider.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Now that you mention it, I did see him sniffing the panels before bidding.  I thought that was a bit kinky.  :D

JerryB

My grandfather occasionally sold calves and pigs at auction, but never bought anything there. He taught me that the successful bidder at an auction had to pay more than anyone else was willing to pay. He always told me that it was much better to pay the same or less than anyone else, thus no buying at auctions.

I have used Ebay exactly one time, buying a cellphone for parts. I used the 'buy it now' button and got the parts I needed for about half of what I was willing to pay had they been available from the manufacturer.

Ebay and other the other auction sites would be hard pressed to make a living off my trade!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

grumpy

I buy nothing on e-Bay. I can purchase what I want at as good or better a price by checking the online shops .  There is a better probability of getting what you order from a reputable shop.
Don

az2rail

I thought this was a train forum, not a worry about ebay forum.

Why worry about how much someone else is willing to spend for something?

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Yampa Bob

Yes, this is a train forum, but I see nothing wrong with letting unsuspecting modelers know about some of the pitfalls in purchasing, or expressing our own views regarding purchasing.   

I believe Paul qualified the topic by mentioning that someone paid $112 for a locomotive that could have been bought for $75.  I consider that "train related".

However, since we are also friends, as in sitting around the old clubhouse,  we may stray from trains at times.  That's no big deal, the main thing is we are still exchanging ideas and viewpoints. 

I spend from 6 to 8 hours a day learning and teaching on the forum.  Sometimes it's nice to take a break from the routine.

Paul W.

I too have seen folks go absolutely crazy on bidding, but lets not knock it completely. If you use common sense, there are some deals to be had, you just have to set limits. Timing is also important, you don't want to try and buy train items around Christmas, you'll pay outrageous prices, but if you're selling, that's the time to unload.
For example, in the last month, I just picked up a large scale 10 wheeler for $23.00, the description was "runs, but missing brakes". Only three of us bid on it, and I needed it for parts for a bash I was working on. As it turned out when I got it home and tested it, it actually runs perfectly.
It could be an addition like gambling, but if you set limits, and do your homework, you can pick up some great deals. And some of the on line train shops also have ebay items and stores to buy from.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

az2rail

But why call someone who is willing to pay more for an item a idiot?

When you do a search on ebay, you are given all the listings for that item. At that time the buyer makes the choice of which on they want to bid on. I have choosen the more expensive one from time to time myself. It depends on if I think thats the one I want over the other.

I just sold two identical HO cars on ebay. The only difference in them was the road number. One sold for $14.99, and the other for $35.00. I did not call the bidder of the more expensive one an idiot.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Yampa Bob

Perhaps the word "foolish" would be more polite, which is defined as "Having poor judgment, unwise". 

Paul is referring to a brand new item readily available at any time for $75. I want to meet anyone willing to pay $112 for it, I have some ocean front property here in Colorado that I would love to get rid of, the sea gulls are making a terrible mess. 

pdlethbridge

You can call them an idiot if the site shows the buy it now price at $75 and they bid $112 and the store has 30 in stock.