News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bidding wars

Started by pdlethbridge, August 30, 2008, 01:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Paul, I realize you have been locked in the basement for two weeks without nourishment, and up to your ears in decoders.  But if you are still trying to compete for the title of "Mad Scientist", remember I lost my mind 20 years ago so I have a lot of seniority.  However, the position of "Igor" is still open.

Repeat after me:  "It's alive, it's ALIVE."  :o
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

you lost your mind and no one would help you find it. My brother and I share the same brain cell and he has it this week. Mad scientist???? I thought you were yogi bear, That would make me ranger or boo boo

Santa Fe buff

I like to wait until like 1 min. left and see, sometimes people put up 0.99 hoping for "idiots" to bid up to oh I think about $7.00, and they get no bids, so I CAN save some, on other's mistakes... :)
- Joshua Bauer

Pacific Northern

Quote from: pdlethbridge on August 30, 2008, 01:11:17 AM
Have you ever seen some of the idiots that buy stuff on E-bay? They get into a bidding war on an item the could get from the same store for $40+ less. I just saw a Bachmann spectrum 4-6-0 sell for $112+ in a bidding war, but they could have bought the exact same engine for $75 in the buy it now price. ::) :o

What I find interesting is that the item was auctioned off of my favourite site.

I have been fortunate enough to have purchased a number of Spectrum steam engines off this site. I ended up with 3 of the newer 4-4-0's and ended up paying just over $45.00 each, also a couple of spare 2-8-0's for a bit less.

At those prices having duplicates is quite affordable. It certainly dresses up the roundhouse portion of the layout.
Pacific Northern

RAM

what other auction sites are there other than ebay.

Jim Banner

Quote from: RAM on August 31, 2008, 04:37:33 PM
what other auction sites are there other than ebay.
None worth mentioning.

I too have made some great buys on eBay.  A pile of 0n30 stuff at 30 cents on the dollar (based on Walthers prices) and very reasonable shipping to boot.  It helps that the seller, thefavoritespot, is a bona fide Bachmann dealer so the warranties apply.  I like to support my local hobby shop, but when I can buy twice as many trains for half as many dollars ...
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Santa Fe buff

Jim is VERY right, hot deals go off ebay everday with no bids... I can't wait until I'm allowed to even shope online, for my dad, just HATES ebay. Oh well, I will grow up sooner or later... :-\
- Joshua Bauer

James in FL

Intelligent people talk about ideas.
Smart people talk about events.
Simple people talk about other people.
Enough said.

Santa Fe buff

I like to do all three! I talk about some ideas, events if something is going on, and other people just to talk, (I don't try to talk bad.).
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

unless they are an idiot!!!!

Yampa Bob

James left out 2 important categories.

1.  "Experts" like to talk about themselves.

2.  People who talk to themselves.  Heck, that's the only way I can have an intelligent conversation. No one else knows (or cares) what I'm talking about.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Besides that, who would listen?

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

grumpy

I would say more money than brains..
Don

WGL

"It pays to shop around."  That's part of the fun of collecting.  I check the manufacturer's suggested retail price, the price on modeltrainstuff, & etc.  E-Z Command lists at $120; modeltrainstuff charges $80 on sale; I got it "like new" on eBay for $40.  I bought my Spectrum EMD SD-45 DCC NIB on eBay for $45; Bachmann's price is $115.
  Web stores often don't describe their model train products in much detail--even expensive items.  The Intermountain F7A with DCC & sound I bought had no other specifications, not even in the box.  I bought an Athearn GN boxcar from modeltrainstuff & was disappointed to find that the doors don't open.  The description said "Johnstown doors," but I don't know what that means.
  Items turn up on eBay that one can't find elsewhere.