News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lima and the Pancake

Started by creature, August 25, 2008, 01:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

creature

My family just mailed me my N scale set from when I was a kid.  So it's been 25+ years since I'v ran them.  Four days ago, I didn't know the difference between an F7 and a '67' Chevelle:)   I did get most of the engines running after a little memory recalling and alot of research on how to clean them (yes I was suprised to)  Anyway, They are old Lima's with the "pancake" motor (also a new term I picked up).  Since Lima is defunct, parts are extremely hard to come by.  I realize they were not the best engines but I would like to restore them for sentimentle reasons only.  I've check Ebay and picked up a few peices but not much.  If someone knows of place to get parts (there has to be a warehouse somewhere) or even a way to replace the engine.

Thanks

NYC1956

I wonder where all the old parts went. There used to be places like AK-SAR-BEN (Nebraska spelled backward) that used to list and sell parts for all the early N scale locomotives. They went out of that business long ago. They continued in business doing custom paint schemes on stock locomotives and cars. I'm not sure they are still in business. If you could contact someone who was associated with the business, they might know how they disposed of their parts inventory. I think they were located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Maybe a local hobby shop got the parts.
Probably buying up complete locomotives (eBay or train shows) is going to be your most reliable source for parts these days.
--Mike K

thirdrail

Ak-Sar-Ben moved to Nashville, TN several decades ago, ceased dealing in model railroad materials at all and last I heard was making truck miniatures that truckers and truck lines could buy. But, that was a decade or so ago, too. It unloaded what it had left in model railroading on eBay in the 1990's, mostly knockoff Kadee (now MTL) underframe castings.

StanierJack

Quote from: creature on August 25, 2008, 01:28:24 AM
My family just mailed me my N scale set from when I was a kid.  So it's been 25+ years since I'v ran them.  Four days ago, I didn't know the difference between an F7 and a '67' Chevelle:)   I did get most of the engines running after a little memory recalling and alot of research on how to clean them (yes I was suprised to)  Anyway, They are old Lima's with the "pancake" motor (also a new term I picked up).  Since Lima is defunct, parts are extremely hard to come by.  I realize they were not the best engines but I would like to restore them for sentimentle reasons only.  I've check Ebay and picked up a few peices but not much.  If someone knows of place to get parts (there has to be a warehouse somewhere) or even a way to replace the engine.

Thanks

If I were you, i would contact Horby International. They own lima, as well as Arnold and Jouef. Meybe you could get newer chassis for your models?

Hope this Helps,

StanierJack