News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peter Witt Trolley -Sound

Started by jmg0807, August 25, 2008, 09:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmg0807

I have a Peter Witt Trolley that I would like to add sound to. Is there a decoder / speaker for HO trolleys?

Thanks,

John

jmg0807

Rich,

Awesome! Your the man!

John

jmg0807

I have purchased a Peter Witt Trolley and a Digitrax sfx064d sound decoder. The decoder comes with a 28mm speaker which cannot be nicely fit into the Peter Witt. When reviewing the parts diagram I noticed that there is a place for a speaker, but the hole is only 16mm. The sound decoder is for 32 ohms and has a 32 ohm capacitor. The only 16mm speakers I can find for hobby application are 8 ohms. This appears to be a mis-match. There are some earphones with 8mm 32 ohm .2 w specs.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or directions on how to deal with this?

Alos, there are three wires coming off each of the track pickups which I don't understand. Each pick up has a red a black and either a brown or an orange. I figure I need to connect the red and black wires from the sound decoder to the same color on one of the pick ups i.e. red to red on one rail, and black to black on the other rail. I am only using track pick up as aopposed to overhead wire.

Again, any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

mattallen37

Quote from: jmg0807 on August 31, 2008, 05:41:55 PM
The sound decoder is for 32 ohms and has a 32 ohm capacitor.

Could you please tell me what a 32 ohm capacitor is? do you mean 32 uf (micro farad) capacitor? or 32 ohm resistor?

Matt

richG

I found this in a search for Digitrax sfx064d and found this.
http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_sfx064d.php

Did you read the instructions that came with the decoder?
In the future you can also search using Google and store the links in your Favorites folder for reference and maybe helping others.

Do not know about the speaker as I do not know what the trolley looks like inside. You might have to do some modifying to fit the speaker inside.
I have had to do that with steam decoder installations.

A lot of DCC stuff is sold with the assumption you have electrical/mechanical experience.
You should have a digital voltmeter/ohmmeter/amp meter when you work with model trains especially DCC.

You might consider joining the Yahoo Digitrax group. There are a few thousand members for the 32 ohm speaker issue.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Digitrax/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1

Good luck.

Rich

jmg0807

Guys,

Matt,

The capacitor is a 330 uf.

Rich et al,

I reviewed the decoder instructions and they are clear, but don't address the speaker question nor the wiring of the Peter Witt. I have determined from several reliable sources that the sfx064d decdoer will work with 8 or 16 ohm speakers. I also found that hidden in the bottom of the Peter Witt trolley is a hole for placement of the speaker. You need to remove the black circular disk and voila there is the hole with speaker holes drilled through the bottom. It is wide enough to put the peaker in and then place the cap back on to serve as a baffle. I have ordered a 16mm 8ohm speaker from Tony's Trains.

I still need to figure out what wires to tie into on the Peter Witt. There appear to be 8 wires involved with power pick up and distribution. I will check out the groups on yahoo and also pull the Peter Witt further apart and test with a meter.

More to come...thanks again.

John

richG

Here is a little more information. Hope it helps. Just take your time and make sure all connections are insulated.
http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/SFX064D.pdf

www.eastpenn.org/bachmann_peterwitt.pdf

Rich