Bach's on a roll, Heavy mount, separate tenders, new switcher great marketing

Started by robderebel, September 02, 2008, 10:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robderebel

You guys keep this up in N scale and you'll be the leader in this scale.  ((you are already in the steam department)

My only issue with the tenders is for the price you could of had magnetic couplers, instead.   I haven't had them out of the box yet, but there is a few model power steamers slated to get them. maybe one of the old riviarossis or concor units too if I can turn the wheels down.

Rob

kibort

Couplers are an issue.  My heavy mountain required a retro fit because the factory coupler was too low. The light mountain came with rapidos and the motor on the light mountain was not isolated properly from the split frame.  I agree Bachmann is close to taking the lead in N scale steam but they need to watch quality and design more closely.  Would like to see some more options with split frames (properly isolated motors) and true DCC ready (ideally with consideration for sound) with knuckle couplers properly height matched to standard.  I think there is some real market potential to re-release some of the previous products (4-8-4, etc. ) with DCC ready design and upgrades to Spectrum line.

hobo1

you have got to be kidding, have you ever heard of atlas,kato or proto line.they are #1 in n scale and always will be

skipgear

Hobo????

Atlas hasn't made a steam loco in over 20 years (unless you count the 2-8-8-2 that they commisioned Samhongosa (SP?) to make). They currently make the Shay (a diesel in sheeps clothing) and the repainted/rebaged Micro Ace 2-6-0.

Kato is now on their second Steam loco in 15 years.

LL/Walthers/Proto Have made 3 loco's and only 2 are currently available with the 2-8-8-2 due shortly. They finally realized that Steam loco's need traction tires and are retrofitting them slowly with new releases.

Bachmann makes 3 different standard line steam locos (4-4-0, 0-6-0, 4-8-4) in a few variations. They make 5 different steam locos in the Spectrum line (2-8-0, 4-8-2 Lt., 4-8-2 Hvy., 2-6-6-2, 4-8-4 Class J).

Who is leading the way with steam?

Also you forgot Model Power who has 4 currently available locos (4-4-0, 2-6-0, 4-6-2, 2-8-2) and Athearn who also has 4 (2-6-0, 2-8-0, 4-6-6-4, 4-8-8-4).
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

hobo1

these locos are far superior to anything bachmann makes in n scale. their quality is second to none compared to bachmann , and you dont too many quality control issues like bachmann does. anybody that thinks bachmann is better than kato is NUTS AND DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT N SCALE QUALITY

robderebel

Hey hobo1,

Kato's tooling is how many years old?  Yes its the benchmark, how much did the mountain cost you?  todays tooling costs? and who in the Hll is protoline?

Athearns cost how much? don't count the 260 and 280 because they are too simplified.  Model power, when they come out with all wheel friction free tender pickup, they will  be a contender in the reliability dept, not in the detailing department.  I have two. they need tenders with all wheel pickup.

rob
PS I'm not nuts, I just have enough locomotives to choke a tyrannasaur.