Spectrum 2-8-2 Mikado (PRR and other Road Names) ?

Started by TrampTrader, September 03, 2008, 01:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrampTrader

:)

Hi Mr. Bach Man,

Is there any chance that we may be seeing an HO Scale, Spectrum 2-8-2 Mikado Steamer, DCC  ready, (like the Spectrum K4 4-6-2 Pacific pre - war PRR, product now available), in PRR, and other appropriate Road Names, any time in the near future ? I'm a newbie to the hobby,  so I appologize if this topic has already appeared on these pages, or if the Loco was available in the recent past production lines. Thanks for any information that can be provided.

Pete   :-)

Guilford Guy

P.R.R locos are unique in appearance, which is exactly why the K-4 isn't in any other roadnames. The K4's were the pride of Pennsy's fleet, while the Mikado's(I class??) were the workhorses, less often pictured, and far less glorified. BLI makes a USRA 2-8-2, and I don't see them making the PRR mikes anytime soon. I'm hoping for a nice USRA or Southern Railway pacific, or a small Mogul.  :)
Alex

SteamGene

GG is correct about Pennsy having it's own appearance, caused by the Belpaire firebox, which forms a square shoulder in front of the cab.  I believe the standard PRR Mike was class L.  They did have some USRA Mikes, IIRC, not not many. 
BTW, the Great Northern also used Belpaire fireboxes and favored flying pumps and Vanderbilt tenders, so many GN locomotives looked like a cross between the PRR and the C&O. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

paulsafety

The Pennsylvania rostered 575 L1 2-8-2's and 5 L2 (USRA) 2-8-2's.

Since there's only the bowser kit for this engine, I think that a RTR version with decent detailing would be a welcome addition to the marketplace.  The H class 2-8-0's were even more popular and it's not a stretch to assume that at least some were sold to shortlines (ie. the Bellefonte Central?)

While PRR engines are "distinctive" in appearance ;), so are ATSF, IC, B&O, Reading, etc. steamers.  I don't understand the thought process that just because one manufacturer has made a USRA 2-8-2, that another manufacturer can't/won't produce another 2-8-2 designed for a specific railroad (be it PRR, or someone else).  Isn't that like saying, since a b-b trucked diesel switcher exists, we shouldn't expect any other b-b trucked diesel switchers to be made? ::)

Even forgetting the diesel argument, if BLI has produced a 4-6-2, does that rule out a Southern PS-4?  It shouldn't.  Bring 'em on -- more models, more happy modelers!

Paul F.

Pacific Northern

The Roundhouse 4-6-2 Pacific based on the Genesis will be released in Oct of this year. I see several of the larger model railroad stores are already advertising them as well.

http://www.roundhousetrains.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=RND85179

Info from the web site indicates it will be an upgraded model DCC ready at an MRSP of $149.98 or with sound and DCC at $239.98.

I would assume that the folks over at Roundhouse will be watching this engine very closely. I know I will be checking them out as soon as they are released.

The big question I think is that as the early Athearn Genesis steamers were the 4-6-2 and then the 2-8-2 will Roundhouse be considering re-releasing the Mike later?
Pacific Northern

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I do not remember Roundhouse/MDC offering a 2-8-2 in the past.   I remember the 4-6-0 and the 2-8-0s but not the 2-8-2s. 
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

SteamGene

Bob,
MDC/Roundhouse is now the brand name for everything steam.  The new Roundhouse 4-6-2 is the reworked Athearn Genesis USRA light Pacific.
When the Genesis USRAs came out, the Mike was the first release, followed by the Pacific.  There was a great outcry about the lack of an operating front coupler on the Mike, so the Pacific came with one.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtbob

Gene,

When you say that Athearn/MDC is reworking engines such as the light mike,  what do you mean by rework?    Remembering the split gears and tracking problems were the problems with the Athearn engines,  I hope that is the stuff to be reworked as well as operating pilot couplers.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

rogertra

Quote from: ebtbob on September 05, 2008, 09:27:10 AM
Gene,

When you say that Athearn/MDC is reworking engines such as the light mike,  what do you mean by rework?    Remembering the split gears and tracking problems were the problems with the Athearn engines,  I hope that is the stuff to be reworked as well as operating pilot couplers.

Bob

If we knew what Athearn/MDC meant by "reworking" we'd be psychic.  Gene just took that from the Athearn/MDC website.

Pacific Northern

Speaking of Mikado engines, I see that BLI has just re-released their Light and Heavy Mikes.

I have some of these from the early releases when they were Paragon series engines. Excellent engines, pull well, sound great, no problems with any of them. 

I assume these are the same basic engine components only with their new sound cards and without the DCC.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

I'm not psychic, but they say they have a new mechanism and perhaps more weight.  What they also say is that they will not swap old ones for new ones, which I think is wrong.  I'm sure they could take a swap and retrofit it with a new mechanism and then sell at a discount like BLI does (did). 
Chief Brass Hat

TrampTrader

:)

Thanks for all the valuable and knowledgeable information, folks.

I'll keep an eye out for the new BLI 2-8-2 Mikado Locomotives. I hope that some will display the PRR Road Name.

Pete :-)