Will an On30 4-4-0 overpower a Micro-Tsunami decoder?

Started by traincrazee, September 04, 2008, 11:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traincrazee

Will an On30 Bachmann 4-4-0 overpower a Soundtraxx Micro-Tsunami? I have ordered one to add sounds to my 4-4-0, but read elsewhere that one person used a M-T in a Bachmann engine (HO or On30, was not clear) and found that it repeatedly shut-off (overheated) so they resorted to a standard Tsunami instead. Unfortunately, I don't think there's room for a standard Tsunami in the 4-4-0's tender. Thanks for your help.

finderskeepers

It shouldn't be tripping the decoder, I have one in my On30 climax and it doesn't do this. The 750 decoder (micro-tsunami) is rated for a stall current of .75 amp. I can't see a can motor pulling more that half of that under normal operating conditions, so unless your friend has wired multiple high draw lights and a smoke generator to his engine I can't see why his would be tripping.

traincrazee

Thanks for your reply.  Glad to hear one is working well for you.  I'm going to proceed with my plan to put one in my 4-4-0. 

gnfan

Actually there is plenty of room for the larger Tsunami decoder in the 4-4-0 tender. I have installed one. I even left the Bachmann PC board in so I could just plug the decoder in. I swapped out the Tsunami wire harness for a Digitrax, the "DHWHP" Digitrax 9 pin to DCC medium plug long harness (1"),  8 pin plug harness.

It is a little crowded but it's not a difficult install.  The tender shell also seals reasonably well so it sounds good also. The Micro-Tsunami would be even easier to fit in the tender.

David

Steve Magee

I have a Micro in my 4-4-0. The advantage of the Micro is that it gives sufficient space in the tender to install a High Bass 1.22" speaker - mmmmm  :) But if you want a description of how it was done I shall have to wait until my friend who did the install for me returns from interstate.

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

traincrazee

Got my Micro-T (with its 220 mF "no skips" cap) installed last night.  Let it run awhile.  No overload.   So far so good.  Sounds great too, even with Auto-exhaust.  Now to "tune" some CV's, add a crew, and decals.   There probably is room for a standard T, but the micro made matters even easier.  Just added an 8-pin NMRA plug to it and presto - - a great looking 4-4-0 American with terrrific sound and speed control.