News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 2-8-0 sound

Started by paulb321, September 19, 2008, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb321

:)What type of controller is required to operate the Soundtraxx system on the
84507 Baldwin loco I am going to purchase ?  Right now I am running a DC lay out. :)

Yampa Bob

With DC power you will have the chuff, some assorted steam sounds like rod clank.

With EZ Command you can use the function mode to toot the default whistle or turn some sounds off.

With a more sophisticated controller, you can tailor the sounds to your preference, and have more selection of whistles.  For the 2-8-0 the sounds will be for "light steam".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

paulb321

:)Thanks YAMPA,What would be a good controller to use
when I go DCC?

pdlethbridge

I just recently purchased the NCE power cab. It costs more the the ez command, but it is full featured, allowing you to program and control the trains better. Bob has the ez command and has had a good experience with it. Both have their good and bad points, but the bottom line is to run your railroad the way you want to. Not my way or Bob's way, but your way and have lots of fun doing it.

Santa Fe buff

Oh boy, so many controllers...

E-Z Command
E-Z Command Dynamis <Wireless and improved version.>
http://www.digitrax.com/prd_sc_set.php
http://www.digitrax.com/menu_throttles.php

But I don't know of many.
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

For a cost comparison, the Bachmann EZ Command is a basic starter setup at about $90 street price. Good way to get your feet wet in DCC. It's pretty much a stationary unit, with one cord from the power supply, another cord to the tracks. Starting with the EZ Command is a no brainer, plug it in and start running. 

Some more full featured units are the NCE Power Cab or Digitrax Zephyr, both are about $150.

The Power Cab is nice as you can carry the cab/throttle around the layout with only one cable connecting to the main unit. If you plan to really get serious about DCC, including sound, the Power Cab will let you access all the decoder's built in features.

Due to the added cost, considering a more sophisticated unit requires a little  research and study.  You can download the operating instructions for most of the units on the market, so you can read and decide which one fits you best.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.