News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Backwards Traveling Engine

Started by capt_langlois, September 06, 2008, 12:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_langlois

I recently aquired two Bachmann F9 engines. I was hoping to run them together, but when I set them on the track, one engine went one direction and the other engine the other direction. I reversed the direction on the controller and now the two went at each other. I have no idea what is going on. As always I appreciate all the advice I can get, thanks for the help.

fieromike

Most likely, someone has had one (or both) of the engines apart and put the motor in upside down.  Just careully disassemble the 'wrong' engine, and flip the motor 180°, reassemble, and you should be in business.

capt_langlois

I opened the engine and tried to flip the motor 180 degrees but came up empty. The housing only allows for the motor to fit in the one direction. I am back to drawing board, so any help once again would be greatly appreciated.

fieromike

If we're both thinking of the same engine with a split frame and no wires to the motor, the problem HAS to be with the motor.  The motor could have been assembled wrong at the factory, or a previous owner might have completely disassembled the motor and got the magnets backward.  You might end up sending it back to Bachmann...

capt_langlois

Yeah that is what I am thinking. You described my engine exactly and there are no wires. I wish there was something I could do specifically but Im not sure. I dont have the warranty info since I bought the engine used so I dont think Bachman will help. Any suggestions now?

fieromike

Yep.  Call Bachmann service dept.  You'll pay repairs on an out-of-warranty engine.  As inexpensive as those engines are, it might be worth a bit of browsing through that auction site.

GlennW

If you can get to a swap meet, you could look for a LifeLike GP20. If you can get it cheap enough, swap the LL shell for the Bachmann.

capt_langlois

Quote from: fieromike on September 07, 2008, 09:54:12 AM
Yep.  Call Bachmann service dept.  You'll pay repairs on an out-of-warranty engine.  As inexpensive as those engines are, it might be worth a bit of browsing through that auction site.

You mentioned browsing through an auction site? I was wondering if buying a new motor for the engine and swaping it out for the old one would rectify the problem. If so, where can I buy one and how much would it set me back? Otherwise I was going to get creative and solder the engine contactors backwards in attempts to run the engine backwards but I would prefer an easier less time intensive solution.

David Leonard

Does this thing have axle pickup or wheel pickup? If one truck picks up current from one rail (via axle wipers) and the other truck from the other rail, you might be able to reverse the polarity by switching the wheel sets.

alhoop

I'm almost positive that the motor is symmetrical and should go in either way.

capt_langlois

I hate to tell you but the engine will positively only fit one direction. The metal casing in which the engine sits only allows for the motor to point one way. I can spin the motor allowing the contacts to connect the same way to the metal housing but the driveshaft exiting the motor is still facing the same way resulting in the backwards running (if that makes sense). This particular F9 has an electrical pickup throuh the wheels. Like you mentioned though, I did switch the two trucks around thinking the same thing however was unsuccessful. For such a simple problem, I sure am stumped. Thanks for all the imput thus far, I do appreciate your guys' experience.

taz-of-boyds

I believe the idea is to switch the motor contacts from the frame halves they contact now to the other frame halves, thus electrically reversing the motor, not turning the motor shaft around??
Charles

alhoop

I've owned several Bachmann f9s, both the old metal gear one and the plastic gear type. The motor could be mounted to make the engine run in opposite directions.
When you say one direction are you talking front to back?" Point one way" sounds like you are attempting to turn the motor front to back. As taz-of-boyds sez, the idea is to flip the motor so that  the brush cap that was on the bottom is now on top.
Let us know.

morrisf

I've got the same problem with the no. 81259 F7 A/B set.

One runs backwards and the motor can be neither repositioned nor rewired.

I'd like to view the solution to this problem, too.

alhoop

Quote from: morrisf on September 16, 2008, 09:34:15 AM
I've got the same problem with the no. 81259 F7 A/B set.

One runs backwards and the motor can be neither repositioned nor rewired.

I'd like to view the solution to this problem, too.

Morris:
Are you saying that you cannot rotate the motor 180 degrees on its axis so that the brush cap that was on the bottom is now on top?
Al