News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 and 4 digit addresses

Started by pdlethbridge, September 07, 2008, 09:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Is there an advantage to using 4 digit addressing on a small layout that will only have a couple of locos and stationary addressees?

Jim Banner

No advantage at all with only a couple of locomotives.

But even a small layout may accumulate a large number of locomotives.  Then it becomes convenient to be able to call them up using their cab numbers, be they one, two , three or four digits. 

If you keep it down to a reasonable number of locomotives, you can often get away with using just the last two digits of the locomotives' numbers.  But how many of us can resist "just one more locomotive" even when we have more than our layouts could ever possibly need?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

2 digit addressing allows me over a hundred addresses so I think I'll change to that. So far, this is what I have, 4 dcc engines working and 4 in kits or broken down with it unlikely they will be fixed in the short term. 2 stationary decoders with 5 addresses, with 2 - 4 address decoders on the list for future purchase. As I total it, only 21 addresses with lots of wiggle room.

Yampa Bob

Since I only have EZ Command, I cheat by putting a tiny Avery sticker on the cab top with the address number.  If I later wish to rearrange my roster, I just change the sticker. I also maintain a log book with the address number and details, including date of acquisition, lube and repair dates etc, one page for each loco.

You can also use small wire number stickers used by electricians, or a plastic tape embossing tool available at office supply stores. The tape comes in black and other base colors, which embosses with white numbers.

There are also computer programs to inventory trains, but I find the log book handier to have by my layout.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

I find it easier myself to use the cab number.  There is no real difference in the difficulty of adding a four digit address than a two digit one.  With four digits it's less likely to have a duplicate. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

Quote from: SteamGene on September 07, 2008, 05:40:22 PM
I find it easier myself to use the cab number.  There is no real difference in the difficulty of adding a four digit address than a two digit one.  With four digits it's less likely to have a duplicate. 
Gene

I agree. I prefer to just be able to think "I want to pull train "x" out of staging. Train "x" is headed by locomotive #473." Then I just punch 0473 into my throttle, and roll her out of staging. As opposed to "Which number is loco #473? Is it address 24? No..."
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

pdlethbridge

It could be 47 or 73 on a 2 digit setup.

JerryB

I'm not a DCC operator, but I think I would ask myself what I'm saving by using 2 digit rather than four digit addressing if it's available on my system.

Another consideration is going to a friend's or club layout. Lots less possibility of conflict with the long addresses.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

pdlethbridge

As far as I know a decoder can have both a short and long address, so if it is more convenient to use 2 digit, thats what I'll use on my layout. After all, I'm not a club member, nor do I wish to be one. I don't get out that much any way as I'm disabled.

Jim Banner

Actually, many modern decoders can have up to three addresses
- 2 digit address
- 4 digit address
- 2 digit consisting address (if the decoder supports advanced consisting.)

Which one you use and how you use it is completely up to you.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

The more I read about these sophisticated controllers, the more I appreciate the one button push transfer of control with my EZ Command.

However, for more information on programming decoders, you might find "The DCC Guide" by Don Fiehmann interesting. (Kalmbach #12417) 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.