News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CS/RGS 74

Started by Chatzi473, September 07, 2008, 05:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatzi473

Ok There is a topic of people wanting a k-27 but MMi already has a k-27. I know i would get one to if bman made one. The question comes up Y does bachmann want to build an engine someone all ready makes?

Well i say to make people happy who model Colorado NG and everyone else who models logging and mining railroads and also not make the same engine they should do a new 2-8-0. I think the best engine to model would be the CS/RGS 74. Thats two Colorado road names taken care of right there but also like the 2-6-0 they can also put other road names on that fit other railroads. BLI no long makes the c-16 so there is no company that makes and inside frame 2-8-0, its a big power engine but also small enough to fit shot line logging railroads. 

here is some background infomation on this locomotive

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=238

Royce Wilson

My problem with that engine is I would have to have it in both RGS/C&S.

Royce Wilson

Hamish K

Quote from: Chatzi473 on September 07, 2008, 05:58:16 PM
BLI no long makes the c-16 so there is no company that makes and inside frame 2-8-0,

Broadway's 2008 caralogue does show the C16, but only in Bumblebee and Christmas liveries. Delivery is listed as  Fall 2008.

Hamish

Chatzi473

but it still would make a good engine even if BLI did make the c-16s

Hamish K

The main reason I posted was to correct the information on the status of the BLI c16. However the issue as I see it is how many different types of ON30 2-8-0s will the market support? As well as the BLI c16  and Bachmann OF MMI have made, or announced, c17, c18, c19, and c21  2-8-0s

Hamish

ebtbob

Hamish,

I think the reason for Bachmann doing an engine done by another manufacturer could be done for a couple of reasons.
       First and formost,  price.  MMI engines are rather high in comparison to other engines that may be available.    While their engines are highly detailed and made completely from metal,  that does not necessarily make them desirable.   First of all,  unless they have changed their ways,  they do not supply an operating pilot coupler.  Second of all,   they are not always made to take tighter radii such as 20 to 22 inch,  which a 2-8-0 should  be able to do.  Another thing is that many modelers to day,  like DCC or DCC/sound factory installed.   MMI does not go that direction.
        Personnaly,   I like the market a lot more when I have a choice of manufacturers.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Chatzi473

and the CS/RGS is very different then the drgw c class engines. It is also can be like the other bman 2-8-0 but inside frame. How many 2-8-0s? well how many 2-8-0s did the railroads build in real life, there is a lot of different types of engines of the same wheel arrangement.

Chatzi473

instead of the onion stack they can add a bear trap on the stack

Tomcat

Well,
the BLI C-16 is not bad, though... But Bachmann could do far better, better detailed, better running (they tend to derail unless you do the alternation described here earlier...) But the 268,278 are wellknown and we may see 223 return to steam one day...

But: The RGS 74 is not on the drawing board by any of the manufacturers, so Bachmann grab your chance...

Regards, Tom

Dusten Barefoot

Let's see #74 made, I can kit bash her to ET&WNC #4.
Rock On!
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Frisco

Yes one of these would be even better than a K-27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) The National Narrow Gauge Convention is this week ???

Tomcat

Sure,

we may see something fresh out of Bachman´s Magic Hat - not a Rabbit I hope...?!?!
Definitely - RGS No.74 would be a cool thing to have...

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Chatzi473

Quote from: Frisco on September 10, 2008, 11:05:34 PM
Yes one of these would be even better than a K-27!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Bachmann can first make this engine and get peoples minds away from engines that are all ready out there

Royce Wilson

I know Sunset made this engine in brass On3 and it is rare to find one for sale.  ???

about as hard as trying to find HO Colorado Midland brass engines. ??? ::)

Royce Wilson ;D

Woody Elmore

I owned a Sunset C&S # 74. It was poorly assembled; parts were cold soldered or not soldered at all. I spent a lot of time trying to repair loose joints. The can motor was small and the gearing let the engine race like a rocket. They eventually made another gearbox available. The fellow who bought my #74 put in another brand gearbox - Precision Scale or Backshop.

Mine was a RGS version with a mesh spark arrestor. I had purchased a cast brass beartrap stack but it required some work on the running boards so it went along with the engine when I sold it.

A Bachmann 0n30 model would really be nice; we'll put it on the list after an EBT mike and SR&RL #24!!