News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 55 Ton 3 Truck Shay Questions

Started by TheLordsServant, September 07, 2008, 10:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLordsServant

I am considering the purchase of a Bachmann 3 truck shay. I am wondering about it's tractive effort, the engine weight, and dimensions, particularly length and width. Height is not that important. Just dimensions would be great, but if someone can provide a weight for the total engine and attached water tender, and what they've pulled with theirs, that would be excellent.

Thank You All!

John

az2rail

I can help you with part of what you want. The engine is about 30"'s long, 4 3/4"'s wide, and 7"'s tall.

Mine is still in the box waiting to be painted, so I can not tell you it's tractive effort, and I don't have a scale, but it is pretty heavy.

I am sure someone will have better info.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

TheLordsServant

Thank you very much! The dimensions were the most important thing I was trying to find, so you were a wonderful help. The weight isn't as important, I'm buying this for use on a garden railroad that will have a 3.5% grade, and want to make sure it can handle it. I had bought an Aristo-Craft Mallet, but after having three engines that were all DOA after being "repaired" I'm looking into other options, and the Shay was my second choice.

Cascade Northern

I have seen a Bach 3 truck handle a 20 some car train on a 4% grade with no problems.

TheLordsServant

Wow, 20 cars is quite a few!  :o I know my current engines can hardly pull 20 on level track. What brands were the cars? I'm using AMS cars, mostly tank cars, but some others as well, all equipped with metal wheels.

Thanks a lot, you all have been great so far!

Danny Sheehan in Oz

I do  not think you could haul that number of AMS cars with any loco, they have a drag effect, I find that all my other cars roll much easier trhat AMS products.

TheLordsServant

Well, I would expect not to be able to haul 20 AMS cars, probably around five at most. I don't think there's anything that can move 20 AMS cars  ;D

Cascade Northern

The cars are mostly Bachmann with a few other manufactures.  But none are AMS.

Tom Lapointe

Perhaps a video clip of mine in action (taking a 9-car train up a 3% grade - including 4 AMS cars  in the consist) will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9m0LUCJ0g

I think mine has "maxed out" at 13 cars (depending on how many AMS cars are in the consist  ;) ); typically 11 cars upgrade is the most I expect out of it.  I also run an Accucraft live-steam (2-truck) Shay, so my rails (Aristo brass track with LGB turnouts) may be a little a bit more slippery due to live-steamer "drippings". :D  The Bachmann 3-trucker is the only loco I have capable of dragging the Accucraft Shay dead (if it runs out of butane at an inopportune spot!).  :o  (The Accucraft pulls about the same as a Bachmann 2-truck Shay, but is considerably heavier!). :D    I rarely even run 11 car trains, as only 1 of my passing tracks will accomodate a train that long. ;)                                                                     Tom

az2rail

Nice video Tom. I think I have seen some other videos by you. That yard looks familiar.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

charon

Yeah, I've watched other videos of Tom's layout.  They are always great!  Keep us up to date, Tom.
Regards,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line