News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reverse loop problem

Started by farmerkev, September 21, 2008, 12:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerkev

I have a larger layout that had a EZ command DCC system with the reverse module that worked fine. I recently switched to a MRC system, but now whenever a loco enters  the loop it the sytem shorts. I put a coin over the gaps, and the module clicks so it works, any ideas what to do? 

Jim Banner

Depending on which MRC system you have, you may be having a race problem.  This occurs when the booster reacts to a short circuit faster than the auto reverse module can.  But I am not sure why you get the booster shorting with a locomotive but the reverser throwing properly when you test with a coin.  It may be a result of your test method.  When you use the coin, do you use it across the both rails at the gap or just bridging the gap in one rail?

Possible solutions include:
-cleaning the wheels, the power pickups if used, and the tracks.  Dirty wheels and rails can limit the current available to a reverser enough to interfere with its reliable operation.
- replacing the E-Z Command auto reverse module with its MRC equivalent;
- rewiring the reverser loop (if possible) so that an auto reverser is not necessary;
- running an extra feed from your MRC booster to the mainline right next to the gaps for the reverse section, and to the input of the auto reverser.  This last one would help if the reverser is not receiving enough current to throw faster than the booster.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

farmerkev

For the testing, I did both, covered one gap, and then both rails at the same time. The module clicks, but the MRC system shorts until the coin is removed when I cover cover both rail gaps at once. 

pdlethbridge

Is there a way to change any settings on their auto reverser like there is on a digitrax auto reverser?

farmerkev

There is a dial to change the scale you are using it for. Maybe I could try setting it for N scale.

Jim Banner

Quote from: farmerkev on September 23, 2008, 04:15:44 PM
For the testing, I did both, covered one gap, and then both rails at the same time. The module clicks, but the MRC system shorts until the coin is removed when I cover cover both rail gaps at once. 

This is exactly what I would expect with an auto reverser.  Clicking when you short across a gap is normal, at least the first time you do it.  If you short across the same gap again, it should NOT click again because the reverser should still be set from the first short.  To make it click a second time, you have to short across one of the gaps at the other end of your loop. 

If it clicks each time you short across one of the gaps and then clicks again when you short across the same gap again and you have not done anything else in between, then you have a problem.  Most likely problem would be that you do not have a gap where you should have a gap.

Your booster sounds like it is working okay too.  When you put a coin across both gaps at once, you are not only shorting across the two gaps, you are also shorting from rail to rail.  The booster is suppose to sense this and cut off the power.

May I suggest another test.  You say that when a locomotive enters the loop, the booster shuts down.  What about when the locomotive enters the loop the other way?  Does the booster still shut down?  I am referring to your reversing section as a loop because that is what you called it.  With a loop, your locomotive should be able to go into the loop in one direction or the other (either clockwise or counter-clockwise) without shutting down the booster.  If you have more than two ways into your loop, then your locomotive should still be able to enter the loop in at least one of the possible ways without causing the booster to shut down.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.