controlling Bachman DCC turnouts

Started by billchoo, September 25, 2008, 12:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billchoo

can someone explain exactly how to control Bachman DCC turnouts using MRC Prodigy Advance 2.  I use Bachman EZ track, and I have two Bachman #6 crossover turnouts that worked easily with my "Bachman EZ command" system, but now use the "MRC" system.

Bill

Yampa Bob

Hi Bill
You are not being ignored, several members here have the Prodigy and may have the answer you need, so hang around for awhile.

I don't have a Prodigy, but I do have the manual. The only reference I found for accessory decoders is in Section 2-11 and 2-12.

The way I read it, accessory decoders are not handled the same way as mobile decoders. The section says to refer to your accessory instruction sheet to determine the proper address.  It also refers to CV #513 however that may only apply to their line of decoders. 

I don't know if the Bachmann DCC turnout can be classified as an "accessory decoder".  The greatest failing of the factories is not providing sufficient information on their products.  I know every system has different programming procedures, but a generic quick start would certainly be helpful.  The status quo is "You buy it and you figure it out".

You might check the turnout package for instructions, and read the sections I mentioned above. Perhaps a phone call to Bachmann service might get you some detailed information.   

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

billchoo

Thanks for the help Bob, hopefully someone will have the answer to this big secret.  I noticed your "Union Pacific" logo.  I retired as an engineer from the Union Pacific .  After 41 years it gets in your blood and model railroading keeps it flowing.

Bill

Yampa Bob

I would enjoy hearing about your experiences as a UP engineer.  I copped your email address, if you don't mind I may write sometime.

I live in the heart of coal country in northwest Colorado. I model mostly modern UP, but also Rio Grande which really developed this area in the early years.  My favorite trains are vintage 2-6-0, 2-8-0 and coaches from the 1880-1920 era.

When I retired from cattle ranching 2 years ago, I invested in UP stock, have seen it double and split.  Every day we see the coal trains pass through our ranch, with  10,000 tons of the finest high btu low sulphur coal in the country.

Good luck with the turnouts, wish I could help more. I have EZ Command, but my turnouts are mostly manual and a few remote.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.