News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

digitrax ds 64

Started by pdlethbridge, September 12, 2008, 11:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I have 2 of these but I'm having difficulty programming the second one with my NCE power cab. Any suggestions? I have been reading manuals, exploring digitrax site but the only thing I saw about a second unit was a reference to the requirement of having loconet which I don't have nor could I find a recent (newer than 2000) program.

grumpy

Buy yourself an EZ Command . Programmning is very simple.
Don

Yampa Bob

Paul
Now I have a brain cramp.  Are you saying that with the Power Cab, you can only have one stationary decoder?

I called my friend at Caboose Hobbies today, they have an employee who apparently knows a lot about these things but wasn't on duty today.  When I go to Denver Tuesday, I'll see if I can learn more about this.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

I have a couple of e-mails into digitrax about this and hopefully I'll have an answer Monday. Their instructions don't really cover a second ds64 and I could end up with 3. The first one is hooked to 3 double crossovers and a single switch and works perfectly. The factory sets the addresses for 1 unit but the next units have to be programmed and thats where things get cloudy. Their instructions for a second unit are the pits.
Each ds 64 has its own power so I'm not drawing from the power cab

Jim Banner

My understanding is that you can operate turnouts with the DS64 using either LocoNet or the rails as input.
BUT
To program the DS64 you must use a LocoNet compatible throttle.

I think that is why they say "Use with any LocoNet Compatible System" on page 1 of the manual.  My suggestion is to get someone with a Digitrax DT400 or similar throttle to program the address and any other options for you.  Maybe your LHS or a local club? 

Alternately, does North Coast Engineering make a similar stationary decoder?  I would expect that if they do, you could program it with your Power Cab with no problem.

I wish I could reach through my monitor, grab your DS64, and program it for you.  Then stuff it back into my monitor and have it pop out your end, all ready for you to install.

By the way, the latest (2006) manual for the DS64 is on line at:
http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/ds64releasev2.pdf
but I am afraid it won't be of much help.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Maybe someday people can "transport" objects like they do in Star Trek.  Zap, send it over to be fixed, then Zap it back. Or Jim could zap himself and his DT400 over to Paul's house.  Jim, be sure to set your transporter coordinates to the basement.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Jim, I read that about it but if you look just below that, it says: DCC compatible for non-LocoNet Use. So it should be programmable from my NCE throttle.

Jim Banner

I stand corrected on having to use LocoNet for programming this device.

I asked the Digitrax group this question and got an answer from a fellow who uses a Hornby Elite to program his DS64.  He uses the instructions on page 8, first pushing the ID button until the LED flashes, then sending four switch addresses using his throttle set for switch mode.

After you have entered each switch address on your throttle, you will have to tell your throttle to throw or close the switch (or whatever NCE calls the action).  This will make the throttle actually send the address to the DS64.  It does not matter which of the two actions you specify because the DS64 will ignore the action.  It is only to get your throttle to finish the command (by sending it) that you need to key in an action after you have keyed in a switch address. 

Once you have sent all four addresses, your DS64 is programmed to use those same four switch addresses for throwing turnouts.

pdlethbridge

I must be a spaz, cause I can't get it right with my NCE power cab. I think the switch mode on that unit is the select accy button. I've been looking through the NCE book and can't find it. My bad! :-[
I can't seem to see each ds 64 as a separate unit on my throttle.I've tried to set up the second unit without the first powered, no success. I figure I'll get it some day soon, sort of like figuring out a software or hardware problem on a computer.
One thing I have found out from digitrax is that routing is not available to non-loconet users. Another thing that might be important. NCE corp. is in Webster, right next to Rochester NY, so if I really have problems I'll check and see if they do house calls.

pdlethbridge

a digitrax tech said I could program the ds 64 using an NCE power cab but his instructions were to get the id light blinking and then set it. Not that I haven't tried that about 16 times, but his instructions were the pits. >:(

bobgrosh

I use 6 of the DS64's.

I do not have LocoNet or a power supply attached too them.

The simply connect to the track and the four turnouts.

Obviously, you know how to THROW turnouts 1 through 4

SO, You Obviously know how to throw turnouts 5, 9, 10 and 11. Right?

To program a DS64 so that the four turnouts connected to it are addressed 5, 9, 10 and 11, here is what you do:

Press and hold the ID button till the LED next to it starts slowly flashing, Takes about three seconds. Make sure you don't wiggle the switch during the three seconds of you have to wait another three seconds. Once the LED starts flashing, release the switch. The LED should continue SLOWLY flashing.

You are now ready to set the stationary addresses of the four turnouts on that DS64.

From your throttle:THROW switch 5 (the LED will start flashing faster.)
From your throttle:THROW switch 9 (the LED will flash faster.)
From your throttle:THROW switch 10 (the LED will flash even faster.)
From your throttle:THROW switch 11 (the LED will stop, you are done..)

Oh!, You CAN set up routes and operate them, You do not need loconet to do that either. Any system that can throw and close stationary addresses can program and use all of the features.

pdlethbridge

Thanks for the info, I can throw 1 - 4 because they were programmed at the factory that way. Turnouts 5-8 haven't been programmed in and thats where the problem is.I have tried this about 8 times and I get no where with the second ds64.
Digitrax sent me the following info:
Please provide a simple way to program a second DS64.
(The first step in adding the second DS64 is to change its Board ID.  This is done if you are using LocoNet so that each DS64 has a unique ID.  This is done this way):
http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=395
Are there particular problems programing using a NCE power cab?
(The DS64 is programmed independently through the use of the buttons on the individual DS64; the throttle is not used for programming, regardless of manufacture.  Please see):
http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=1268
(Best regards, Editor)

I've checked those sources, researched both manuals , power cab and ds64 and I've gotten no where fast.
What really confuses me is this:the throttle is not used for programming, regardless of manufacture. If thats the case, what am I missing?

Jim Banner

Of the two links sent to you by Digitrax, the first one has no relevance whatsoever.  It deals with the inputs of the DS64, not the outputs which are used for throwing switches.

The second link takes you to a list of DS64 subjects.  They have left it up to you to decide which ones are relevant to your problem.  Number 5 on the list deals with programming DS64 addresses.  You can link to this topic by clicking on that item on that list.  Or you can click on the link below which will take you to that self same page:

http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=394

The second paragraph says "NOTE: During this procedure the DS64 must be connected to an active LocoNet with an active command station."  I suspect this is where I got the idea that you had to be connected to the LocoNet for programming.  However, the gentleman on the Digitrax board did indicate that he programmed DS64 addresses without using the LocoNet connection.  I also have read that you can set one of the OP switches in the DS64 to allow the DS64 to receive commands only from the tracks or to receive them both from the LocoNet and from the tracks.  It would not make much sense to have this option if the DS64 could not accept commands from the tracks.  So I going to assume that the DS64 WILL accept commands, including programming commands, from the track, at least until I find out otherwise.

That being the case, I perused the Power Cab manual on NCE's website.  As I understand it, to throw a switch with the Power Cab, you do the following:
(1) press the SELECT ACCY key
(2) key in the address of the switch
(3) press the ENTER key
(4) press either the 1 key or the 2 key.

So to program your second DS64, you would do the following:

(1) disconnect the track connections of your Power Cab from the railroad and anything else they may be connected to.

(2) connect the track connections of your Power Cab to your second DS64 (and only to your second DS64.)

(3) press the ID button on the DS64 until the LED next to it starts flashing.  This will take about 3 seconds.  Then release ID button.

(4) press the SELECT ACCY key

(5) press the 5 key

(6) press the ENTER key

(7) press the 2 key

(8 ) press the SELECT ACCY key

(9) press the 6 key

(10) press the ENTER key

(11) press the 2 key

(12) press the SELECT ACCY key

(13) press the 7 key

(14) press the ENTER key

(15) press the 2 key

(16) press the SELECT ACCY key

(17) press the 8 key

(18) press the ENTER key

(19) press the 2 key  NOTE: at this point, the LED above the ID button should stop flashing, indicating that the DS64 is programmed.  If it quits before step (19) or is still flashing after step (19) then the DS64 did not program properly.  Repeat steps (3) to (19).

(20) connect a solenoid type switch machine to the first output of the DS64 that you have just programmed, leaving all other connections the same.

(21) press the SELECT ACCY key

(22) press the 5 key

(23) press the ENTER key

(24) presses the 2 key   NOTE: The solenoid switch machine may or may not throw, depending on which way it was previously set.  Do not touch the switch machine but carry on with the testing.

(25) press the SELECT ACCT key

(26) press the 5 key

(27) press the ENTER key

(28) press the 1 key  NOTE:  The pressing the 1 key in this step should definitely throw the solenoid switch machine.

If you have made it successfully through all these many steps, then CONGRATULATIONS!  You have just programmed your second DS64 to addresses 5, 6, 7 and 8.  Before installing it, you should probably connect that solenoid switch machine in turn to the second, third and fourth outputs of the DS64 and confirm that you can throw it back and forth using addresses 6, 7, and 8.

Wow!  Between the crash course on the NCE Power Cab and rereading a whole mess of data on the DS64, then trying to make sense out of it all, I see two hours have slipped by.  Time goes quickly when you are having fun.

pdlethbridge

Its all mute now, the ds64 is no good. It won't even run in place of my first unit. It continued to overheat and it was starting to smell like hot solder so I've all ready ordered another. I'll need three anyway so I'll send this back and exchange it for one that works. Their packaging for the ds 64 is like how small decoders are packaged, just a plastic bag, so the product could have been dropped countless times before I got it.

pdlethbridge

Jim, I have the ds64 back, they just gave me a new one, So I'll try your instructions later.