Los Angles Metrolink Train Wreck.

Started by Santa Fe buff, September 12, 2008, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash-9

yes i did here of this.  from what i have heard the reason the train crash was because the engineer was texting and missed a stop signal

JerryB

I just read the NTSB story in the newspaper. It makes the point that Metrolink already had a policy forbidding the use of personal cell phones and texting while on duty.

That just reinforces my post above, questioning whether new rules will be obeyed. I just don't get the idea that we can pick and choose what rules we want to observe. That even more so when the public's safety is at risk.

From the information provided so far, it appears that the train operator was 100% at fault. I don't see how any one could blame the person on the other end of the texting. When my cell phone rings, I do have the option of not answering it if it's not convenient or unsafe. That's what the voice mail feature is for. Doubly so for text messages.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

richG

No humor intended. You cannot fix stupid. Think of the stupid things you have done and learned your lesson. As time went on, you found thousands or more doing the same thing. This is not the first rr accident because of using a cell phone and it will not be the last.
More than once I have seen people text messaging while driving on the highway. The car drifts a little and suddenly gets jerked back into the lane. As you pass the car, you can see the driver looking up and down every few seconds.

Rich