Los Angles Metrolink Train Wreck.

Started by Santa Fe buff, September 12, 2008, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

QuoteLOS ANGELES _ Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa says at least 10 people have been killed in the collision of a Metrolink commuter train and a freight train in the San Fernando Valley.

The mayor says the death toll from the Friday afternoon wreck could reach as high as 15. Los Angeles police Lt. John Romero says it may reach as high as 20.

The number of people reported killed in the collision has been rising steadily in the three hours since the 4:32 p.m. collision as firefighters continue to pore over the wreckage.

As many as 40 people have been reported injured.

- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

kevin2083

I can't find anything saying how this happened, but it's probably too early for that.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

az2rail

I heard on the radio this morning 17 dead, and 130+ injured. Sad!!!

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Santa Fe buff

Whoa, really. I knew it would rise, but-Wow! :o Dude, it has already turned worse then the Amtrak crash out here. It's terribly sad, I wish that we knew what cause it... :(.
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

A friend I went to high school with works on trains as an engineer in that area. I just got a e-mail from him. He said a switch may have been thrown the wrong way.

Santa Fe buff

Well, everyone knows I'm also a siren geek. Oddly, there's a topic on the Siren Board about it too saying that same thing. Even worse, the guy who posted the topic was near during the accident.
http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45264#45264
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

Alex

rogertra

Passenger train engineer ran a stop signal. :(

Too bad North American railroads don't use the best safety equipment available as this was easily preventable accident.  Even  technology from the 1930s could have prevented this.

Yampa Bob

It's heartbreaking, 24 families won't see their Mother or Father tonight.  I was shocked when the TV newscaster said, "The good news is only 24 fatalities, it could have been much worse."

My heart and prayers go out to the families. Whatever your beliefs, I ask that all railroaders observe a few moments of silence in respect. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

Too bad we don't use what UK uses. If an engineer runs a stop signal, the train is programed an auto-emergency brake application... Not for Metrolink... Bob, your right, although it could of been much worse, 24 families' are now in grief. But it is best not to dwell on this things...  :(

One the other hand, I got my first Superliner car today, generic, and a cheap Con-Cor, but okay... :-\ Still, a moment for the families...
- Joshua Bauer

lqdsky

The photos that you posted was from an accident a few years ago when a Metrolink hit a truck than derailed into a freight train. That took place at the Costco on Los Feliz.

This recent accident and Metrolink engine was pushed halfway through the first car. Heartbreaking.

pdlethbridge

If the engine telescoped into the first car, there would be no survivors. They had that a lot in the 1800's because the cars were made of wood. New cars are supposed to eliminate that problem.

lqdsky

There are 25 deaths so far and there still pulling from the car. Most of the deaths were from first car, from the engine being forced back into the car. They are still trying to get to the lower level.

Take a look on the internet, you will see the engine went right through half of the first car.

Metrolink has admitted fault. They are looking into that the engineer was texting at the time of the accident and missed the red signal. That's what is currently being reported on the news.