News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Sodor-based Home Layout

Started by ZeldaTheSwordsman, September 13, 2008, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeldaTheSwordsman

PREVIOUSLY: I have a layout assembled mostly from Bachmann EZ-Track with a couple older Bachmann curves that my grandma Saundra gave me suspended between the EZ-Track ones because several of my EZ-Track curves are missing rail joiners and/or rails.On the layout I run my Bachmann Thomas and Henry.I used to run my James,too,but he needs the piece that holds his guide wheels mended or replaced.For rolling stock,I have Annie and Clarabel,an Express coach,a troublesome truck,a refrigerator car w/track-cleaner,and a tank car.The latter two are awaiting hook-and-loop couplers.I have Harold and Bertie,as well as a passenger plane I made from Legos that lands at the airfield.There are two stations.I used the Tomy Wellsworth Station,which I had two of and was conviently to scale.There is a level crossing made from a straight EZ-Track Terminal Rerailer and a level crossing kit sold by Bachmann.There are some signals and a plate girder bridge I made from cereal box cardboard painted black,with black construction paper that had rectangles cut out glued to the girders so they'd look more like girders.

Henry:   

Thomas & James:

The bridge:

The Level Crossing:

The ticket counter:

The Yard:

A farmhouse:

A field:

A top-down view:

A coupling hook in use as Thomas fetches Henry's coach:

A video link showing Henry pulling a goods train.I'm known everywhere else as ZeldaTheSwordsman,by the way.I joined this forum before I started those other accounts,hence the discrepancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1FqC73rpR8

Now:

I have more nickel-silver rail track now.The tracks are reconfigured for something of a harbour. Henry has come a long way, although Thomas and James will require soldering to run again. The bridge is broken. I'll try to mend it, but I don't know. I'm working on a model Pizza Hut, as I like it and the layout needs a restaurant. There's two stations, an extremely unfinished scratchbuilt mini-Tidmouth and another, unnamed one that I'm making from an extended LifeLike kit and a Tomy Wellsworth. As for industries I'm planning to model the "Sodor Fuel Co." and one I made up, the "Tidmouth Fish Company(TFC for short)." I'm currently saving up to buy a lot of brand-new nickel-silver rail EZ-Track for my upcoming tabletop layout.

Henry:  

Pizza Hut: 

Thomas:

A certain someone who will be making a few cameos:

A video link showing  Henry running after I repaired him(poor guy had derailment problems):

The layout, top-down view:

Santa Fe buff

PIZZA HUT! :D, very great for a floor based layout! Hows about measuring it and getting a piece of plywood, unless you really can't because it's huge and all. ;)
- Joshua Bauer

The Chaz Storm

Love the pizza hut building...you made me hungry :P lol

Seriously though, your layout looks impressive so far.  Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to seeing more pictures in the future. ;)

goldwing

Hay,  Pizza Hut was a really great add to your railway ;). Who dosen't want pizza on their railway. I think i'll have some pizza now. Hay you also gave me an idea to add to my railway when I start to make it.

Well till the next post...later.
Ok, so I return after 3 years, and guess what, I have no railways. FAIL

Santa Fe buff

Dosen't Life-Like make Pizza Hut? :o (Oh, I mean in HO... ;D)
- Joshua Bauer

alex wittman

well, my sodor layout will have a tomy Red Bridge from one of its old sets and i am putting supports down for the track to lay. i will have pictures of the layout eventually.

Santa Fe buff

Hey cool, can't wait to see thee pictures... ;)
- Joshua Bauer

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, I'm making a tabletop layout in the near future. It's going to be an oval with an abbreviated run 'twixt Tidmouth and Crovan's Gate. The Pizza Hut will be included. I'm also including a demi-RWS Tidmouth Harbour so that I can have a loading/unloading point for goods trains(including the Flying Kipper). Lastly, there will be a carriage siding(elevated to save room) and a small independently-powered siding for a station pilot like, say, Rosie(whom I shall model later) or Thomas. That way the little engine can fetch or stow the coaches and then go back. Plus they won't run into the back of the express when Henry pulls out of Tidmouth. ;D

razgriz233

i had a pizza hut model before i sold it, and a bk set with the words home of the whopper on it.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I bet yours didn't have tables, menus, a service counter, a kitchen, sitting customers, and wait staff. Mine will. :)

Santa Fe buff

Hollow inside? Go inside a Pizza Hut, take notes, it's very easy. But they probably won't let you unless you order something, so don't forget the bread sticks! ;) Glad to hear your hitting the tabletop. Foam will make a better base then plywood, but still, measuring out stuff is a HUGE deal. Foam is used for you can carve it to make river beds, ridges, and easily make tunnels and mountains by stacking layers and carving. Ah, but I'll use some plywood. Only elevations is the stream, and that will be a vertical dip for I will have retaining walls into a reservoir.I will just cut and shape the plywood. (With goggles. ;D)
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

If you plan on a river, be sure to spackle the river bed, and paint it with a water resistant latex black paint... The Woodland Scenic water products are absorbed by the foam, and will take too many coats before you get it to look right...
Alex

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I have some thick acrylic paints. Plus, I can make a bed for the water with bristol board(cereal box type cardboard).

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Bad news about the Pizza Hut, the building sides are kinda damaged. Good knews, though: I will be getting my back allowance probably this weekend, and I'll get the garage cleaned out and then CONSTRUCTION SHALL BEGIN! FINALLY!

razgriz233

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on September 25, 2008, 04:14:03 PM
I bet yours didn't have tables, menus, a service counter, a kitchen, sitting customers, and wait staff. Mine will. :)

no it was just an empty space, but it did has some cars i glued to the drive threw