News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Atlas RS-3 w/DH165AO decoder

Started by hotrainlover, September 13, 2008, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear All,
I have successfully installed this decoder in this engine.  I there are 2 problems though

1.  The lights turn on the opposite direction the loco is moving?
2.  The lights are REALLY DIM....??

Is this a decoder problem, or did I just do something wrong?  The lights go on and off as they are supposed to (#10 on EZ-Command station).
Thanks for the help!

Nigel

For #1, take a look at the Digitrax manual, there is a CV to change the direction of the motor, so that the lights will be correct.

You will have to find someone with a more advanced DCC system to change the CV.

#2 - did you add resistors in series with the bulbs?  If yes, reduce the resistance.  If no, you will need to change the bulbs to lower voltage types - which may require resistors in series - and may blow without resistors.  Measure the voltage at the decoder outputs and use Ohm's law to calculate appropriate resistor values.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Jim Banner

Your DH165A0 should have come with a manual.  Did you install the decoder with the FOF terminals facing forward?  If you install this decoder backwards then the headlight will come on when the locomotive is moving backwards and vise versa.

What kind of headlights does your locomotive have?  How much current did they draw on dc?  I assume you measured headlight current as well as motor stall current before you started installing the decoder.  If they are NOT LEDs or low current incandescents, did you adjust the headlight current as instructed in the manual?

I suggest at this point that you replace the dc board in the locomotive and measure the headlight (and motor) currents, if you have not already done so.  Then reinstall the DH165AO the correct way around and retest.  Based on the headlight current you measured, you can decide if you want to adjust the decoder for more current or leave it as it is.

As Nigel suggested, you can correct the headlight problem by programming but there is no single CV that will do the job.  You have to remap the white wire to FOR and the yellow wire to FOF, and it will take a more advanced DCC system to do so.  Even then it can be confusing unless you are using a computer to help you.  I think that correctly orienting the decoder will be easier for you.

If you bought your decoder used with no manual or have lost your manual, never fear.  The manual is available on line by clicking on the link below.

http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/DH165A0.pdf
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.