News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC

Started by smf, September 03, 2008, 09:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smf

HOW CAN I RUN MY DC STEAQM ENGINE ON MY DC TRACK???? IT DOESN'T WORK WITH THE ANALOG, IT HUMMS...I WAS JUST WONDERING IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN DO THIS.....

i WOULD APPRECIATE ANY IDEAS THAT ANYONE HAS..

THANKS
                         STEVE

Yampa Bob

We need more information.  Your topic is called "DCC" yet you ask how to run a "DC" loco on a "DC" track.

What is the brand of your locomotive?  If it's a Bachmann DCC equipped, it will run fine on DC power.  If it doesn't you have some other problems, like extreme binding or something locked up inside the gear train.  Please elaborate so we can help.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ebtbob

Steve,

If you are asking how you can run your DC(analog) engine on your DCC track,  then,  not being a wise guy,  put it on the track,  address it as 0,  or if you have the Bachmann EZ DCC,  whatever address they allocate to analog engines and turn on the throttle.
      Analog engines on DCC will have an annoying hum while they are on the track.   Running them will not harm them,   but when not moving,  get them off the track or onto an unpowered section of track ASAP as the motor will overheat and ruin the engine in a very short period of time.
      With all that in mind,  it is really not recommended to use analog engines on DCC systems.   On the other hand,  a decoder equipped engine can be used on a DC system with no adverse effects.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

zieglmet

I have a 60441 HO GP50 Diesel with DCC (Norfolk Southern). I am new to DCC, I can not get a 4 digit addr to take, i can program a 2 digit, but not a 4 digit. using Digitrax DT400. I followed the instruction to clik the controller from ADDR-2 to ADDR-4 , however doesn't seem to change. I have changed 03 to 65, but want to change to 6556. ANy Advice?

Yampa Bob

Zieglmet,

It is improper to start a new topic within a topic. You should remove your post and start a new thread, then you will get specific help from knowledgeable people.  Otherwise, those people may not even see your question.

The topic title should be specific, for example: Need Help 4 Digit Addresses. Your question is well worded and should get some good responses.

Good luck

Jim Banner

Quote from: zieglmet on September 08, 2008, 01:33:27 AM
I have a 60441 HO GP50 Diesel with DCC (Norfolk Southern). I am new to DCC, I can not get a 4 digit addr to take, i can program a 2 digit, but not a 4 digit. using Digitrax DT400. I followed the instruction to clik the controller from ADDR-2 to ADDR-4 , however doesn't seem to change. I have changed 03 to 65, but want to change to 6556. ANy Advice?

It sounds like you are programming the address using a programming track.  In that case, your DT400 will ask you if you want to turn 4 digit addressing on.  It will do this immediately after writing the new address to the decoder.  You have to push the "Y" key immediately to tell the DT400 that yes, you want 4 digit addressing turned on.  The fact that you were able to change the address from 03 to 65 tells us that you are using a programming mode that the decoder understands.

On the off chance that you are trying to make this address change in OPs mode on the main line, I have only one piece of advice - don't.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ray46

As to your question about addresses, I was under the impression that the decoder used in the GP50 would only take a 2 digit address.  But I've been wrong before.

Ray
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."  The Eagles

pdlethbridge

If the decoders bachmann sells are used in their engines then this is applies from the favoritespot e-bay

Introduce your locomotives to the digital age with our basic 1 amp decoders; 1 per card. compatible with NMRA-compliant DCC systems; programming on the main; control speed, direction and lighting functions; two- or four-digit addresses; 28/128 speed steps; wire harness (for hard-wiring).

Yampa Bob

I have a four digit address, it's in the phone book. Call me anytime between 2 and 8 am.  I'm online the other 18 hours.  ;D

pdlethbridge

All I get is a wrong number?

Yampa Bob

That's because you are a wrong number.  HEHE.  That makes up for the "dim wit" remark.  Touche'   ;)