News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke engines

Started by smf, September 15, 2008, 02:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

I am sure that they pullute but I really don't care. Even if they were running them as much as they did back when it was used on the mainline I doubt (but am not sure) that they would do it as much as cars do. Even if they did it's worth it.

pdlethbridge

Stomp? STOMP? I thought we were friends? :'( :'( :'( :'(
Cutting slack, I don't need no stinkin' slack. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yampa Bob

Well, excuuuuuuuuse me.  >:(  Hey are we havin' fun yet? 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

az2rail

I am confused. Why criticize someone who wants who wants smoke. It make about as much sense as arguing about EPA standards on an item built before the EPA.

Steam engines smoked, pollutant or not, that's what they did, and it only seems natural to model an engine with a smoke stack with smoke.

In regards to the original guestion, what scale are you asking about? If you were in O scale, most company's engines would come with a smoke unit, although it would seem that Bachmann does not. Looking through the Bachmann catalog it looks like they only offer smoke units in their 1:20.3 engines.
As a matter of fact, if Bachmann were to try to compete in the O scale market, they need to offer smoke or the other companies will eat them up. O scalers do want engines that smoke. Whether they use it on not is up to them, but they won't buy one with out it. Same with me in large scale, I would never buy a steam engine without a smoke unit in it.

HO is a different matter, because of their size. Smoke units tend to heat up the plactic their incased in and warp it. Some companies do offer it, but it is not as popular as in large scales.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Santa Fe buff

Show me one ALCO that didn't blow smoke! ;D And even diesels smoke a lot in O, come on, O scale and Large scale are, to me, known as the smoke scales. ;) az2rail is right, if Bachmann wants to step it up to the market, smoke needs to come on out. :)
- Joshua Bauer

grumpy

I am wondering if some information is missing in this thread. Underground mining under the right circumstances use scrubbers on the exhaust of the rock trucks .
With the technology available they should be able to scrub the exhausts of both diesel and steam engines.
Don

rogertra

az2rai Wrote "I am confused. Why criticize someone who wants who wants smoke. It make about as much sense as arguing about EPA standards on an item built before the EPA.

Steam engines smoked, pollutant or not, that's what they did, and it only seems natural to model an engine with a smoke stack with smoke."

Generally speaking, modelled "smoke" is not liked by experienced modellers for the following reasons: -

1)  The "smoke" emitted by smoke units is a chemical that will spread over your room and track and scenery and everything else leaving a sticky residue behind that is difficult to clean up.

2)  It's completely unrealistic and looks toylike and is not worth the money.

Yampa Bob

Not criticism, just cautions.  I have seen smoke in O and Large scale, it does look fairly realistic.  However, modelers of these scales usually have a separate isolated room or building for the layout.  If they enjoy the realism of having smoke settle on everything, that's their business.

There is a sign at our door that says: "Wipe your shoes, take off your hat, and NO SMOKING."  Since our layout is in the house, the CEO mandates no smoking locos.

pdlethbridge

who's that? Your wife?  He he he he he ;D

Paul W.

This is one of those threads that will never end. Some folks smoke in their houses, some don't. I grew up and ran O guage Lionel's that my Uncles gave me from the 50's. We ran smoke all the time and loved it. When my Nephew now comes over, he doesn't care about realism, the first thing out of his mouth is "Uncle Paul, make it smoke!", and neither my wife or I smoke in the house (cigarettes), so we have a smoke free house, but that short amount of time while running smoke, nothing happens. Ok, I wipe down the engine after they leave, but the joy of seeing a kids face is worth it. We tend to lose site of what got us into this great hobby in the first place. Yes some of us are detail oriented, but if someone likes to run smoke, GREAT, do it and enjoy it! As for a greasy residue on all of our buildings when I grew up, I don't ever remember having to clean anything (other than track).

Now for my take on actual steam locomotives. I take trips and vacations to ride steamers. I wouldn't drive 10minutes to get pulled by a diesel. Do they pollute, and how much, don't know, don't care. I am eco friendly, I am a consultant for storm water and wetland preservation, and in my house we try and recycle/ reuse most items. But for the small amount of steamers still running, they were here before the federal laws. Modern days cars and trucks pollute far more than the few steamers running. Look how developement is adding to our carbon footprint, the runoff from hardscape areas into rivers and bays, polluting our drinking water. Look at the Cities with smog problems, is this from RR's, I think not.
That's like the people that purchase a house where a tourist line is already existing, if you don't like steam trains, don't get the house. In my area, there is a dragstrip that has been round for years, as people sold their houses and moved, new owners bought and had a petition to try and shut down the races. Needless to say, it didn't work, the drags were there first.
People forget, all of our history and freedoms that made us what we are today. Steam engines forged the United States, and these are majestic symbols of our history. So hopefully the day never comes, but what if a child never had the chance to experience the sounds, smells, and excitement of riding behind a true iron horse. Snorting soot, and smoke, listening to the sounds of the whistle, and wheels on the track, I think that would be a true loss to all of us.

Happy Steamin'

Paul

Yampa Bob

Reminds me of the time when a neighbor rancher retired, and sold his place to someone just wanting to live in the country.  Within a month, I received a call from the new neighbor complaining about our feedlot. He didn't like the odor when the winds shifted.  He also complained that "my runoff water" from melting snow flooded his house.

My reply: "Look, I didn't ask you to be my neighbor, if you don't like it, move back to town."  As for the spring runoff, I advised him to complain to a "higher authority"  He tried to get support from other neighbors, also ranchers.  Obviously his "petition" failed, and he sold the ranch to a real cowboy, who now has lots of horses and cattle. 

This area is beautiful, but it has always been ranches, and always will be. Steam, cattle, feedlots and cowboys, all here first. If people want to enjoy T-Bone steaks, they have to endure the prevailing winds.

Our ranch is a literal "game preserve", lots of deer, elk and antelope, nesting American Eagles, cranes and geese. Yesterday I watched for an hour while 4 Red Tailed Hawks soared motionless against the thermals rising from the hills behind our house. 

Ok, I'm rambling, but I get tired of people in their ivory towers, having their "cheese and whine", wanting to destroy our heritage in the name of "progress".