News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modify B-Units

Started by jesse, September 28, 2008, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse

I have two Bachmann F-Bunits that I would like to convert from power to dummy status.  My power unit is not strong enough to handle the four powered units ABBA.  Is there a way to do this?

Jesse
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yampa Bob

I suppose it can be done by removing the motor and drive gear.  Others may have comments on this. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Putting parts back in later is harder than removing them. 

First, are they DC or DCC equipped, and is the "power unit" a DC controller or DCC, such as the EZ Command? Also, how many cars are you trying to pull with the consist.

A single DC or DC compatible loco, with DC power, might draw .25 amp, but the four might only draw a total of .80 amp, assuming they are all in consist pulling a common load of cars.  In consist the current drawn is not proportionally accumulative. One loco could be doing all the work, the others might be along for a free "no load" ride.

Look at the power output rating on the pack.  If it says 10 VA, that's only a total of .8 amp, so your current "bank" is empty.  If DC, buy a more powerful controller, that has an output of, say, 12 to 15 VA. 

Also, fine tune your cars for less rolling friction.  Truck journals should be reamed and use only metal wheels. This alone may allow the weaker pack to do its job.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jesse

Thanks.  The units are all DC.  The controller is DCC Bachmann EZ Command. The consist is the Santa Fe Super Chief with ABBA and usually six to eight cars....I have not been able to find any Super Chief B units that are unpowered.  I have no intention of replacing the motor and gears once they are removed.  Basically what I was looking for was a procedure to do the removal.  Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Jesse

Yampa Bob

The EZ Command will only power ONE DC locomotive on address 10, and the DC loco should not be allowed to sit idle, or run for long periods.  You can run several DCC equipped locos that are DC compatible on a DC power pack up to the limit of its output, but again, only ONE DC loco with EZ Command.   Please read page 6 of your EZC Manual. 

I would suggest either buying a quality DC controller to run your locos, or install decoders in them.  The former would be the least expensive, and since EZ Command doesn't have separate AC terminals to power turnouts and other accessories, the DC pack will always be useful.  If you ever buy DCC equipped locos, they should be thoroughly broken in on DC power first.

Of course, if you only plan to run this one consist, you could keep ONE A unit powered, and de-power the rest.  If that is your choice, perhaps someone will instruct you. However, I don't advise anyone to run even one DC loco on EZ Command.

Regards,

jesse

I took your suggestion (not recommendation) and removed the gears and disconnected the motor from the track pickup on the two B units.  Since I am running the EZ Command DCC controller, I replaced the DC F-7A lead unit with my DCC Genesis FP45. I retained the F-7A unit since it is a Bachmann DCC equipped unit.  The whole consist runs very smooth and is exactly what I was looking for.

Jesse

Yampa Bob

That's great, glad you got it all working ok. Your note that all the locos are DC had me concerned.

Have fun