Grand Canyon Railway quiting steam

Started by Frisco, September 17, 2008, 08:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

According to Trains magazine News Wire Grand Canyon Railway is no longer running steam :'( :'( :'( :'( and the locomotives will be displayed outside. Acording to the company that owns the locomotives it was fro "enviramentile reasons" but many things point to it being over $$$. Subscibers can view more information at www.trainsmag.com . I emailed them about it and will post the reaturn when I get it.

Yampa Bob

As I mentioned in another thread, Georgetown Loop Railroad near Denver is using a diesel switcher.  I had a chance to interview some of the passengers regarding the change from steam locomotives.

Only one guy, a modeler, said he missed the steamers but it didn't really matter. Another passenger said he liked the change, as the steamer smoke used to fill the cars as they went over the Devil's Gate Viaduct. 

All the cars were filled to capacity as usual.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Woody Elmore

Well, duh! The great thing about riding steam trains is the smoke and soot! What kind of diesel do they use - and is it smoke free (if it's an old Alco I doubt it).

Maybe they should go back to horse drawn trains but - oops - horses pollute but their pollution is natural and biodegradable. Just watch wear you walk.

epeorus

That conclusion must have been reached since this past May.  When I rode it in mid-May, they were very proudly announcing the acquisition of an SP&S steamer (a Mikado, as I recall) with the idea of adding horsepower to pull the cars without the aid of their FA units!

A pity, if it's true.  The steam was great fun!

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.

pdlethbridge

One railroad that has been running steam since its inception over a hundred years ago just got its first bio diesel running up the hill. The mt Washington cog railway has been using steam exclusively until this year. Their steepest grade is 37%. Another one is Steamtown in Scranton, Pa. If they don't get their act together soon. they will go down too.

Yampa Bob

I took pictures of the switcher, but haven't identified it yet.  The mechanics at the engine house were off duty.

If I can't find a reference, will post a picture later.

epeorus

Quote from: pdlethbridge on September 18, 2008, 11:06:47 AM
One railroad that has been running steam since its inception over a hundred years ago just got its first bio diesel running up the hill. The mt Washington cog railway has been using steam exclusively until this year. Their steepest grade is 37%. Another one is Steamtown in Scranton, Pa. If they don't get their act together soon. they will go down too.

I was in Conway, NH, on other business, but had the pleasure of photographing the cog railway the last day under full-steam (they had six fired up at once and I was at the inauguration of the biodiesel engine as well.  Nice sound but I like the soot!

Will post a picture later today.

Jim

nhmanhere59

I was a New Hampshire resident for over 50 years,and have ridden the Mt.Washington Cog Railway many times. The last time was on a return trip in 2002. I will certainly miss the smoke,soot,and clatter of the steam locos,but can understand the change over for economic and ecological reasons. I rode the Georgetown Loop before the steam loco broke an axle. Hopefully,they will be able to return it to service.
  David

Yampa Bob

Frisco, Hope I'm not "pirating" your thread, but thought this info fit the topic. Keep us posted on the Grand Canyon report.

I called the GLRR mechanic at the engine house today, he was eager to share information about the switcher.

It's a "Porter", 80 ton, with a "Cooper" 600 hp engine, built in 1945.  It originally was owned by US Gypsum working San Diego, along a line near Tijuana. GLRR bought the loco 4 years ago, had it rebuilt by Sumpter Valley Loco Works in Oregon.  It's a beautiful engine, closely resembles a GE 70 ton, whisper quiet and clean running. Very elegant in black with yellow stripes.

I have a lot of information about their steamers being rebuilt, but will reserve that for a separate thread. One thing is definite, steam will return to the Georgetown Loop.

epeorus

Here's a picture in May of this year!  Soon it will be gone?  I'm glad I got ride it before it was lost.

Jim

Terry Toenges

Having been on a number of tourist train rides around the country, I can say that the the diesel rides don't do much for me.
When I ride a tourist railroad, it's for the experience of seeing, hearing, smelling, and "feeling" the steamers.
If I just want to look at scenery, I can do that in a car for a lot less money.
Feel like a Mogul.

Yampa Bob

When you cross the Devil's Gate high bridge, you momentarily forget what the loco is, you're thinking, "Gee I hope this thing doesn't collapse."  I think my wife held her breath all the way over. It's the "highlight" of the ride, pardon the pun.

The trip is very short, about 30 minutes for the 6 mile one way. We like to watch the train leave Georgetown, then drive 2 miles up the interstate to Silver Plume and watch it arrive. 

Unlike some excursions which require you to pay for a photo shoot, GL encourages railfans and photographers.

Frisco

I got a reaply from them today.It re says that is is for the enviroment.When I have some more time I will tipe it out on here.

Paul W.

Thanks for the link!
I personally think this is terrible. There are so few steam RR's left running excursions, to see one that is pulling steam off it's roster, that's very sad. If you want to voice your opinion to this, you can contact their corp office and let your voice be heard.

http://www.thetrain.com/company/

There are alot of other things they could do to help the environment other than cut out steam. They are also going to put quite a few people out of work do to this move, sad, very sad.
Happy Steamin'

Paul