News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mr Bach Man re Climax

Started by steve turner, September 19, 2008, 02:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve turner

I have very few Bachmann Locos.However two of my delights are the spectrum shay and the climax. Though now over a year old i was pretty upset when part of the drive on my Climax broke, and even more upset when i found out parts were not available.All i needed was probaly a 10 cent part the front universal exiting the front truck but no its not tobe!The lady in service said the techs have parts to fix the climax but they are not for sale.........i really dont understand this thinking or type of customer service?Others on this forum point to the fact there are no parts period, so im really confused what really is going on here!Based on the fact many apparently are having drive issues cannot Bachmann make a statement as to whether or not parts will eventually come or a replacement upgraded drive is in the works.Bachmann needs todo damage control regarding the lack of parts availability to us modelers who purchase your goods in good faith that believe in a time of need we will be looked after!One can understand no parts for older releases but the Climax is pretty current.Im not slinging mud here and dont mean tobe disrespectfull to Bachmann but im upset at this situation not only for myself but other climax owners. A favourable response would be appreciated.Thanks steve

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
I'll see what I can find out.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

steve turner

Thanks kindly for the response!Anticipating some info soon perhaps! ;D

rogertra

The Climax falling apart after a year or so in service seems to be a common problem and has been written about on various forums.

Apparently the Climax has been discontinued by Bachmann and no parts are available, which is upsetting many people.  Let's hope for their sakes this isn't a repeat of the Athearn fiasco over their 4-6-2 and 2-8-2 and their refusal to honour their warranty.

Pacific Northern

Having read many of the posts regarding the Spectrum Climax I decided not to obtain one after all. I have a few of the Specrum Shays and wanted to increase the size of the roster.

I opted for one of the two truck Heisler engines put out by Rivarossi before their demise.

Hopefully, the new management at Hornby/Rivarossi will see the interest in geared steam and keep the Heisler model going.
Pacific Northern

ZukeyinMO

My Climax came out of the box, went on display, and was run a few minutes every six months to keep it limber, less than an hour since I got it. I've discovered the same problems, driveline slippage due to fractured plastic components. Why is it the $50 diesels are tough as nails, never failing, and the $225 steamers deteriorate just sitting on the shelf? I've emailed customer service in regards to my Climax. I certainly hope parts are available.

The bevel gears have split on the front truck of my shay too. They slip on their shafts. I think this is a materials problem. The plastic shrinks with age and causes the component to split. I've replaced a couple dozen axle gears in early Proto diesels, with Athearn gears, for the same reason. If Bachman doesn't step up, perhaps some other manufacture (NWSL PLEASE) will see the market for replacement parts for these short-lived high-dollar locos. I hate that mine may be destined to display-service while my 39 year old $12.95 AHM 0-4-0 runs everyday, smooth, quie, and reliable. After my recent 2-8-0 acquisition came without worm shaft bearings (see my post New 2-8-0 Woes & Fix), I doubt I'll buy anymore Spectrum steam locos. I have over a dozen Spectrum diesels, and none have ever as much as whimpered. I reckon Bachman is pushing the envelope of price-detail-quality in its steam program, and the Chinese are misrepresenting their quality-control to Bachman.

steve turner

Its obvious by other threads that the life of ones shay  being operational is going tobe limited.Regards the Climax it appears with even only minimal use its running life is very short. Its an engineering marvel on paper but i guess lacks quality in construction and materials used for a working model.As modelers we ask for more detailed and refined locos, that we get but whats the point if mechanically they fail miserably.I realise plastic cracks and components wear , i live with that but knowing that in most cases if i pick up the phone i can get parts within reason.Getting parts from Athearn or Atlas has never been a problem for me , and i know if Atlas has a failing part they correct it .In fact Atlas lists and documents these things on their website.One can only assume that Bachmann makes such a vast array of locos that they cannot keep up with parts to maintain what they produce!Hopefully though since Bachmann has the molds etc for Climax somewhere we may see parts or a revamped Climax. In the alternative maybe one day NWSL will produce a drop in drive line or at least the universals male and female.At this time im not sure if most failures are drive line associated or if there are also internal issues, the driveline is what i hear about!

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I've had no breakdowns with display models that I run for hours at a clip.
Never-the-less, I'm looking into Steve's original post.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

kevin2083

I was able to fix the problem on the shay by slipping the bevel gear off, putting a SMALL drop of cement on and putting the gear back on. I did this about a year ago and have had no problems since then.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

steve turner

Nice to see The Bach Man taking what could be considered a serious interest in the climax issue. The million dollar question hopefuly will be answered! can we at least get drive line parts, ie male and female universals either in parts required to put together or as complete, these are the pieces that exit and enter the main gear box and trucks.With the Bach man looking into this maybe he can tell us what parts are or will be available for the Climax.Im also wondering if the Bach Man can put the rumour mill to rest and tell us if the Climax is actually discontinued or just taking a rest from production?It appears to me there is a relationship between no Climax production and no parts available !.Thanks for the open discussion on this topic guys, and im happy it has stayed civil!I know we can get pretty wound up when our locos stop running!My Climax certainly raised my blood pressure lately HA!............but as my wife says ! honey its only a toy! ;) ::) ;D

ZukeyinMO

If nothing else, I hope Bachman might look at this problem as a business opportunity. I'm not keen on having to buy $50 of parts every few years to keep a model running, but I have hundreds of dollars invested already. I'd buy a new drive-line assembly when needed. I hate the prospect of having a $250 model sitting on a shelf. I don't know how many Shays and Climaxes they have sold, likely thousands. Every one of them will need new drive-line components at some time. Mine for one, and I'll put more money in Bachman's pocket to be able to count on using the model. Just don't sell me a $250 firecracker, that once you light the fuse, it lasts as long as it lasts. I won't buy another.

The design is genious. The materials in the tiniest key components were just not up to the demand. Bachman needs to get with a manufacture, there are thousands in this country, have them manufacture an improved mechanism, and market it. Just changing the dive shafts uiversal joint yokes to brass would cure a lot, same with the truck shaft gears on the shay. The plastic components are either subject to degradation over time or can't handle the torsional stresses. You can bet GM, MoPar, and FMC make money selling replacement parts. Bachman can too. If engineered with the proper materials, not the cheapest, there is no reason a well maintained Climax should not last a modeler's lifetime, with some repair now and then.

steve turner

Dear Bach man........looking for news on parts availabilty and whats happening on the drive line fix for us Climax owners with driveline issues ? Whats the status on parts?, will they be coming? Thanks Steve

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
You should be getting a direct email shortly.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

TwinZephyr

As an HO Climax owner I am also interested to know about the prospects for new repair parts.  It would be very disappointing if these models are destined for the trash bin.

steve turner

Mr Bach man i have not received any update or message regarding my request.Please resend the direct e mail you mentioned was on its way.Thanks Steve