News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mr Bach Man re Climax

Started by steve turner, September 19, 2008, 02:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
I'm at iHobby in Chicago, but I'll check next week when we return.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

LooseClu

During the time I've been waiting for your reply, my Climax has shipped to the Philadelphia repair center, has been repaired, and returned to me.  A major thanks to "Tom the repair guy" for his work.  The $20 was not a problem because I bought the little engine online and even with the service charge I still got it at near half price.  What is a problem is the speed of your reply- do the guys you work for even talk to you?  I was warned that I might receive a Shay to replace my Climax when I called to check on the repair process and had almost resigned myself to running a pair of Shays as opposed to my former Shay/Climax combination on my still not completed SOL RR.  As a semi-pro procrastinator I can live with my slow progress but why is it you can't get a reply to Steve AND the rest of us out here who bought a Bachmann product?  Will spare parts ever be readily available?  Is there any hope of getting gears that will last more than a few hours?  I hope you enjoyed the show in Chicago- now get to work!   

jdmike

As I read more and more of these problems with gears and drive train issues on the climax in both HO and On30, and the shays, Bachmans rush to put the K27 out in Large Scale with issues.  I am seeing a trend of quality control going either out the door or in serious need of some attention by Mr. Riley personaly.  While I love the looks of the On30 Climax with its trucks adhearing to the actual design and operation, I also dont want a shelf queen and an engine that in the future I cant get parts to fix issues that should have been caught in the R&D process.  It makes the older brass engines, while not as finely detailed, solid wheels instead of spoked and motors that are a tad noisy, look like better purchases in the long haul if I plan to operate my layout into the future.   I fear Bachmann is slipping back into the horrible quality range they once were considered by many modelers that got beyond the starter set phase.  Recent years saw a reverse of that trend, I hope this trend of great engines that wont run and parts are lacking stops.   I also hope he posts the gist of that direct email for others here that have or are considering purchasing a Climax engine.   Being upfront with the problem and what will be done to address it, stops many rumors from starting.   Direct emails, while great for the gentlemen with the orignal problem, could also be seen as a way to hide information from others here seeking it.  Keep at em Mr Bachmann, dont let them sweep the problems under the rug so to speak.  This is a real problem that can only grow worse as the models out there age.  If a full set of gears are needed, molded or cast from a different material, then this is what needs to be done.  If Bachmann wont, in time NWSL will probably pick up the ball.   I hope Bachmann makes this right in both scales, HO and On30.   

steve turner

Never recieved any info or e mail from Bachmann on this issue. Im thinking though the Bach Mans intentions were innitially well meaning on  this issue hes been told just to let it die. : Ill be a gentleman and keep my feelings on this matter to myself. Steve

billvan

All Bachmann HO scale 3 truck Shay owners -- if you have defective drive line pinion gears contact me -- billvan@connected.bc.ca -- there may be a solution coming your way.

MC

I was very close to buying one on these this weekend.  Looks like I made the right decision.

WoundedBear

I was just telling Grumpy the other day, that I found one here in my LHS. After my warranty one was replaced with a Shay, my second one always looked lonely.

I didn't hesitate in buying it. It was sealed and tucked in the bottom corner of a cabinet. If it lives, I'll have a nice pair for my layout. If it doesn't, then it looks like I'll have another Shay ::)

Sid

EBradbury

Mr Bach Man

Interesting that some of us who have the HO climax with problems are getting them fixed while others are ignored.
I bought a climax in Feb of 2007 and ran it a total of 1 hour.  It stopped running due to the front drive shaft falling apart and a mis-aligned drive bevel gears in the front truck.  However now it seems there is a material problem.  I returned the climax to Bachman within the warrenty period in 2008.  They couldn't find the loco because the person entered the loco in your computer system by my first name only.   I was then told it was un repairable and they would sent me a Shay replacement  I turned that down and had them return the climax to me.  It now sits in the box on my shelf.  It looks like the shay are having the same problems.

What does it take to get it repaired by Bachamn as it should have been earlier this year when I sent them the loco?

Ed

LooseClu

Another couple of weeks and still no reply.  Guess I'll learn to take a hint  that the company line is let it die.  I'm banking on others in the industry being aware of Bachmann's design problem and a growing market for a reliable Climax/Shay driveline.  I'll be their customer in the future, not Bachmann's.