News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring Turnouts

Started by bduncan007, September 19, 2008, 04:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bduncan007

My son wanted turnouts for his train set that we got him last year.  We bought both a left and right turnout and have the connected to his tracks.  I can current use the control if I connect both controls together and the power cord connected to one and both green control wires connected to each controller.  My son is only 5 years old, is there a why that I can wire both turnouts so that it only uses one controller?

Thanks,

James in FL

I'm not sure I know what you are asking.   ???

If you're asking if you can connect both "switch boxes" together and plug each into its own respective "turnout" using only one power supply, then the answer is yes.
I believe Bachmann provides this information with their "turnouts".

If you're asking if it's possible to control two "turnouts" with one "switch box", using one power supply, the answer is also yes, provided you remove the plug from the "box" side of one "turnout" and splice the wires to the other.

Do you need both "turnouts" to switch the same way or opposite ways?

jayl1

Adding to James' comments - are you using the turnouts to go to two different places or are you having the train go in a circle inside a circle (or oval)?

Going in a circle would work with one box.  I would not suggest one controller for two different places.

Yampa Bob

You would usually have 2 turnouts controlled by one switch, only in the case of a "crossover", that is, two turnouts joined curved part to curved part, to allow changing from one loop to another.  Both turnouts change to the same direction, either both to the curve, or both to the straight. Makes it simpler and lessens chance of derail.

If using the Bachmann plug in switches, you have to splice the wires as mentioned. Bachmann has green "extension" cables with male and female plugs you can cut to make up the connections.

Turnouts to sidings are usually controlled separately. For a child, I would suggest putting colored dots beside the turnouts and on corresponding switches, like red and yellow, with numbers like "1" and "2" on the dots.  He'll catch on quickly, but teach him to run slowly through the turnouts.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

I might suggest that you put a voltage limiter between the power supply and track for a couple of reasons. 1. less derailments. 2. Less of a short hazard.
Another thing you might add would be a timer. If he gets interrupted or distracted and leaves, the timer will shut of the power and stop the train automatically.