News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 Clearance

Started by BigRockRR, September 25, 2008, 12:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRockRR

Hello All,

Does anyone know the clearances for the K-27?  I have some tunnels and rock walls that a 2-8-0 comes awfully close to, so I suspect some excavating is needed.  I just want to know how much is needed.  Any help on clearance from center of track on curves (6 foot radius) but experience on any radius will be very helpful.  Thanks much. 

mudhen

Top of the rail , to the top of the spark arrester , is 8 1/4" inches . That is what one of the boards said going back several months ago , as does ( http:/www.grblogs.com/indez.php?blog=4 ) in the ( K27 info blog ) dated September 25 2008 ( today ) , @ 3:35 pm by cfrrfan1.
But I measured 8 1/16" from top of rail to top of spark arrester so I would give 9" for good clearance . So whats a 1/16 0f an inch among friends .
Mudhen 

Jon D. Miller

BigRockRR

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. We were in the middle of a Noreaster.

This is the overhang of the Connie on 5' (10' diameter) curve.  Overhang is 3 7/8" measured from centerline of track to edge of front pilot beam.

This is the overhang on the K-27 on 5' (10' diameter) curve.  Overhang is 4 1/16" measured from centerline of track to edge of pilot beam.

Note that measurements were made with my highly accurate Stanley Powerlock steel tape measure.  If these measurements are off just a tad, I'm sure someone will jump in here with some extreme high accurate measurements.

Also, realize that due to the suspension on the K-27 the overhang could very slightly.  I made sure that the K-27 was out to its maximum overhang for the picture and measurement.

I have only 5' or 10' radius curves.  So this is the best I could do to answer your question.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

glennk28

The critical points will be the cylinders and the cab roof overhang.  This is based on my On3 K-27's.  gj

Jon D. Miller

Having run the K-27 on a variety of layouts since January I've found the following.

On a curve, if the front pilot beam will clear a trackside obstacle then the cylinders will clear.

I agree that cab roof overhang is also critical.  In a number of cases, when running on other's layouts, the front pilot would clear a trackside obstacle only to have the cab roof overhang make contact.

I've found it good practice when running on a foreign layout to take it easy the first time around.  Both front pilot beam clearance and just as important, cab roof overhang must be checked.

If BigRockRR has tunnels on curves then both front pilot overhang and cab roof overhang will have to be checked.  Same will hold true for any trackside structures or sheer walls that set close to the outside of a curve.

The K-27 cab roof does require a little more clearance than that of the Connie's cab roof.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)