News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old dead horse

Started by The Old Fardt, September 21, 2008, 04:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linzthom

Well it seems there isn't going to be a Heisler any time soon. So I succumed to a Ridge Road Station Climax that they had for sale earlier this week at US$75.

But as soon as a Heisler turns up ; it is bye, bye Climax hello you loverly Heisler................
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Tomcat

Folks,

to bring it back to the Heisler - d´say we will definitely see one coming from Bachmann, that´s no question for me. Well, but no one can say us when - but this means no problem since we have received pretty new models from Bachmann shortly...

We do know that Bachmann loves geared engines, so please be gentle. There will be a Heisler. We all can count on that.

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

max (uk)

Quote from: Royce Wilson on September 27, 2008, 08:02:33 PM
I guess there is really no intrest in the puffing billy engine so I guess I will just be quite about it. ???

Royce Wilson

I would be interested in one if they made one, as I was thinking we need some kind of tank engine (not including the Forney for its swinging truck).

With a bit of artistic licence it would look perfect on my layout. Make one with RTR sound and bingo it would be my favorate loco on my layout (with a Heisler aswell ;))

However I do not know of these engines runing in the US. So could Bachmann make a Baldwin caterlogue style tank engine? I would also quite like to see the baldwin USArmy 2-6-2 that was suggested on an earlier thread.

So my wish list would be(in order of interest):

A Heisler (inside framed bogies please)
A tank engine, so eather (in order of interest):
A Baldwin 4-6-0 used in WWI
A USArmy 2-6-2 (might be a way to convert it into a 4-6-0)
A Puffing Billy 2-6-2
A big diesel: something like a narrow gauge verstion of the HO 70 tonner
A logging Mallat 2-4-4-2 tender engine or a 2-6-6-2 tank engine (just like the G scale one)

I think that is about all I would ask for as long as I model On30. (Im waiting for some RTR O 16.5  :P)

Oh a rolling stock wise: just a 4 wheel caboose would be nice!

Andreas.K

Hello from Germany,
my interest is Narrow Gauge 0n30 or 750/760 mm , not Colorado Size.Logging and Mining asset is great.
My Favorites and desires,

1. Heisler
2.Baldwin 4.6.0 War Dept. WW 1(same Accucraft G-Engine ) for Amerika and European Market !
3.Shay 38 to.  ( same Bachmann G-Engine )
4.Logging Mallet
5.Porter 040 and 042 with DCC-Ready
6.Logging Rolling Stock

Regards, Andreas

railtwister

Quote from: Frisco on September 23, 2008, 06:53:43 PM
Quote from: railtwister on September 23, 2008, 10:35:17 AM
While I'm not particularly interested in an On30 Heisler at this time (especially if it's going to suffer from the typical 'split gear syndrome' so common with existing Shays & Climaxes),
I think the LAST thing we need in On30 is duplicated products, and the K-27 would be just that. If you want a K-27 so bad, put your money where your mouth is - go out and get yourself one of the MMI models. Just don't saddle the rest of us in On30 with even more unsold K's sitting on the dealer's shelves!

I don't have space for the 26" radius curves required by these locomotives.

Are you saying then, that you WOULD have space for one built by Bachmann? Keep in mind that radius capability of any loco is a function of several things such as rigid wheelbase length, wheel diameter & spacing, number of flanged drivers, and back to back spacing of the wheels. Most of these items are dictated by the prototype dimensions, and even if Bachmann DID make a K-27, it would likely have a similar radius capability to the MMI On30 model, unless they made major deviations from scale dimensions (besides going from 36" gauge to 30"). Also, deviating in gauge from 36" to 30" only exacerbates these issues!

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL USA

Frisco

Quote from: railtwister on September 29, 2008, 10:47:46 AM
Quote from: Frisco on September 23, 2008, 06:53:43 PM
While I'm not particularly interested in an On30 Heisler at this time (especially if it's going to suffer from the typical 'split gear syndrome' so common with existing Shays & Climaxes),
I think the LAST thing we need in On30 is duplicated products, and the K-27 would be just that. If you want a K-27 so bad, put your money where your mouth is - go out and get yourself one of the MMI models. Just don't saddle the rest of us in On30 with even more unsold K's sitting on the dealer's shelves!

I don't have space for the 26" radius curves required by these locomotives.

Are you saying then, that you WOULD have space for one built by Bachmann? Keep in mind that radius capability of any loco is a function of several things such as rigid wheelbase length, wheel diameter & spacing, number of flanged drivers, and back to back spacing of the wheels. Most of these items are dictated by the prototype dimensions, and even if Bachmann DID make a K-27, it would likely have a similar radius capability to the MMI On30 model, unless they made major deviations from scale dimensions (besides going from 36" gauge to 30"). Also, deviating in gauge from 36" to 30" only exacerbates these issues!

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL USA
I think that Bachmann could make one of these that could go around 22" curves. They made the OF 2-8-0 and that can go around 18" curves( I have heard that it can go around curves as sharp as 12" but have not seen it myself). Being that a K-27 is not that much larger than the OF 2-8-0 I don't think that 22" is not possible.

ebtnut

How about this as a prototype for a Heisler?  http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=252475&nseq=51

I think she's small enough that she would look OK on On30 wheels. 

Linzthom

yeah. That's real pretty. Just the right size but the colour scheme would have to be gotten rid of. Makes want to barf
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

ebtnut

Well, of course we would want the model in basic black.  Tourist roads tend to over-do the decoration.  I suppose they believe that it is more kid-friendly or something.

br549

If you want a K-27 so bad, put your money where your mouth is - go out and get yourself one of the MMI models. Just don't saddle the rest of us in On30 with even more unsold K's sitting on the dealer's shelves!

Bill
"Yo Bill"  FYI MMI is sold out of K27's  :P   Not a good seller eh? ;D

railtwister

Quote from: br549 on September 30, 2008, 05:31:22 PM

"Yo Bill"  FYI MMI is sold out of K27's  :P   Not a good seller eh? ;D

Since they are still available at local dealers, I don't consider them "sold out". I might ask, how many years has it been since they were first available? And even if they were sold out, how many additional sales are still left out there? Let's not forget that MMI had the distinct marketing advantage of being the first to offer an On30 K-27, something Bachmann will not have. I made no comment about them being a good or bad seller, merely that they are still on the shelves at some dealers (and dealers don't like to see merchandise sitting on shelves for years).

Bill

railtwister

Quote from: Frisco on September 29, 2008, 11:54:18 AMI think that Bachmann could make one of these that could go around 22" curves. They made the OF 2-8-0 and that can go around 18" curves( I have heard that it can go around curves as sharp as 12" but have not seen it myself). Being that a K-27 is not that much larger than the OF 2-8-0 I don't think that 22" is not possible.

While it may be possible that Bachmann MIGHT be able engineer it to go around a sharper curve than 26", that doesn't mean it wouldn't look even more out of place on such sharp curves. As it is the MMI model looks pretty odd on 26-28" curves, and both my Forneys and  OF 2-8-0 look out of place on 24" curves (30" would look much better). Don't get me wrong, I really love the Forneys, and I would much rather see Bachmann do a SR&RL #24 2-6-2, which hasn't already been done by someone else in On30.

Bill

NelsOn-30

EBTNut's gaudy Heisler can look good and show the suitability.

Copy & paste the photo into an editing program and convert it into black & white.

It is a good looking locomotive without the colour.

A smallish On30 Heisler is at the top of my list.
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

Frisco

Quote from: railtwister on September 30, 2008, 07:09:11 PM
Quote from: Frisco on September 29, 2008, 11:54:18 AMI think that Bachmann could make one of these that could go around 22" curves. They made the OF 2-8-0 and that can go around 18" curves( I have heard that it can go around curves as sharp as 12" but have not seen it myself). Being that a K-27 is not that much larger than the OF 2-8-0 I don't think that 22" is not possible.

While it may be possible that Bachmann MIGHT be able engineer it to go around a sharper curve than 26", that doesn't mean it wouldn't look even more out of place on such sharp curves. As it is the MMI model looks pretty odd on 26-28" curves, and both my Forneys and  OF 2-8-0 look out of place on 24" curves (30" would look much better). Don't get me wrong, I really love the Forneys, and I would much rather see Bachmann do a SR&RL #24 2-6-2, which hasn't already been done by someone else in On30.

Bill
Since you have made it clear that you don't want one than why does it mader to you what it will look like. If I can run a K-27 than I don't mind not having it look perfect.

br549

None found "In stock" ...   :P