News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

info on the f7s????

Started by highball10, September 20, 2008, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highball10

Does anyone know what the difference between the bachmann plus f7s and the bachmann spectrum f7s are?

Yampa Bob

To my knowledge there is no "Spectrum" F7.  The "Plus" was an earlier category, replaced by the Spectrum line, and the F7 is now in the "Standard" category.

With a few exceptions, the current standard line is very high quality.  Some were "demoted" from plus to standard category to make room for an expanding roster of finer detail models in the Spectrum class.

I can personally vouch for the quality of the diesel line in standard offerings, available in DC or DCC On Board.  I have 8 of them, very solid runners.

Bachmann is to be commended for offering modelers choices, at both entry level and more finely detailed models.

If I'm wrong, others more knowledgeable will comment.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Guilford Guy

The Plus Line was non Spectrum, and replaced by the Standard Line. I think Bachmann's spectrum F7's are N scale, and the Plus ones are HO?
Alex

Yampa Bob

I am only familiar with the 2007 and 2008 offerings.  It's interesting how the products are categorized.

There might have been some confusion between "Plus" and "Spectrum", perhaps that's why they dropped the Plus reference.

I think the term "standard" came from modelers to distinguish between categories. From some of the latest offerings, such as the Berkshire and Shark, the dividing line seems to be disappearing.

When the new catalogs are released each year, I can't wait to get mine to see what changes and additions are made.  Sadly, there are also some deletions, but that's marketing.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

az2rail

Looking at the catalog, there are a couple of differences.

First: Size. The plus is HO, and the spectrum is N.
Second: The plus is a FT, not a F7. So it is a different engine. The basic shape is the same, but the windows, port holes, and roof are different.

And as said, the spectrum line is the step above the plus as for quaility, although the plus is pretty good in it's self.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Conrail Quality

I'm guessing the poster meant N-scale, since Bachmann has never made a Spectrum F7 in HO. The main difference between the n-scale Plus and the n-scale Spectrum is the gearing. The Plus F7's used some very bad plastic in their gears, which shrink over time and crack, causing the locomotive to be pretty much unusable. The Spectrum F7's use much better gears which aren't prone to cracking. There are no other differences of any consequence between the two versions.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

highball10

The n scale plus line are boxed individually and the spectrum line are boxed together in A-B sets. The gearing would be the logical answer and quick fix. Thanks

Paul M.

I believe that Bachmann DOES offer Spectum HO scale F7's, but stangely enough, only in the New York Central roadname.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific