News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small steam dcc and sound question

Started by sparkyjay31, September 24, 2008, 07:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyjay31

Is the same sound decoder installed in all the 4-4-0's, 4-6-0's, and 2-8-0's that come factory installed?  I heard a 4-6-0 on youtube and it sounded an awful lot like my 2-8-0.  Can these sounds be changed?  As you can probably tell I now little about the whole dcc and changing CV's.

Thanks.
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

GN.2-6-8-0

I have the Bachmann Russian Decapod 2-10-0 I'm not to sure about the 4-4-0 but I'm pretty sure the others use the same Tsunami decoders so while you will be able to chooose between 3 different whistles and bells the engine sounds remain the same.
I found the chuff rate on my engine improved the sound once I did a slight adjustment of the CVs.
Rocky Lives

Yampa Bob

I don't have sound, but I think the decoders are classed as light steam, medium steam and heavy steam.  The chuff, bells and whistles are appropriate for the prototype class.

There are several sound options on the decoder, but you need a controller capable of programming CVs to choose other than the default sound.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

richG

The factory equipped Spectrum steamers come with an OEM sound decoder. The sound decoders are Tsunamis made specifically for Bachmann. These decoders do not have all the CVs that Tsunami decoders you install yourself have. The decoders you install yourself are light steam. medium steam and heavy steam. I have installed my own Micro-Tsunami decoders and I can change many CVs so the sounds are somewhat different.
Here is a link to the Bachmann sound decoders. There is no indication of light, medium, heavy. that I can see. Bachmann does not tell you much according to the PDF. Maybe Bachmann says more in other advertising.
Maybe the Bach Man can answer that question.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

Here is a link to the Tsunami that you install yourself.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/manuals/tsunamisteam_users_guide.pdf
Appendix B gives a list of CVs for the decoder you install yourself. It is on page 72. You will notice a considerable difference between factory and DIY decoders.

Rich