News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Backman 2-8-4 Berkshire with DCC

Started by grumpy, September 22, 2008, 01:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy

I just received the 2-8-4 and was a little disappointed The loco operates quietly and smoothly but it lacks detail . The cab and firebox have absolutely no detail. It looks to me as if they have changed mfg's considering the packaging was not up to Spectrum std using only a plastic envelope fitted into a light cardboard container . Then warranty is only for one year and not lifetime which makes me a little nervous. I hope the quality of the internal parts is not a reflection of the external appearance . If someone else has purchased a 2-8-4 please voice their opinion.
Don

Yampa Bob

During the first year from date of purchase, repair or replacement is no charge.  After one year, there is a modest fee.

It doesn't seem to matter how old or shot the loco is, another friend sent in a 20 year old DC model with a shot motor, and got a new one. I think it cost him $10 plus handling and postage.  The fee depends on the loco, I had a fee schedule somewhere but lost it. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Ozzie21

Don, these aren't Spectrum models they are blue box models hence the lack of detail and the cheaper packaging. I have bought 6 of these models and have fitted sound to them all. I now have one in the process of being modified to better represent the prortotype I model. The drive train in these models is much improved on the old models as is the chassis which is now of a monobloc construction instead of the old split frame.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: grumpy on September 22, 2008, 01:29:22 AM
I just received the 2-8-4 and was a little disappointed The loco operates quietly and smoothly but it lacks detail . The cab and firebox have absolutely no detail. It looks to me as if they have changed mfg's considering the packaging was not up to Spectrum std using only a plastic envelope fitted into a light cardboard container . Then warranty is only for one year and not lifetime which makes me a little nervous. I hope the quality of the internal parts is not a reflection of the external appearance . If someone else has purchased a 2-8-4 please voice their opinion.
Don

SteamGene

I have one and really like it.  I'm debating buying an undec version for the VT&P. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ozzie21

Gene, you should. I bought 4 undecs and the two lettered C&O locos. I have taken one to bits and have started fitting a combination of bits from Bowser, Cary, Cal Scale, Overland to better make a Lima example of the loco. Time will tell hoew good it is.
Regards
Charles emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: SteamGene on September 24, 2008, 09:17:20 AM
I have one and really like it.  I'm debating buying an undec version for the VT&P. 
Gene

SteamGene

Charles,
I'm trying to be practical!  :o  I have four K-4s - one Bachmann, one PFM, and two Proto 2000s.  I have a Mantua 2-8-4 lettered for the VT&P.  That's five Kanawhas!  I have over 50 locomotives - far more than I need.  But $99 for an undec is a good price.
I'll be interested in your attempt to install a footboard pilot on the Bachmann. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ozzie21

I have given up trying to be practical. I have 6 bachmann K-4's, 3 PFM 's and unfortuately I still have 2 proto K-4's. I have 6 T-1's from various sources. It's my british collection that gives me the most grief, 96 locos and still rising. They keep bring out new ones and I can't resist. It's going to be even worse now that there are a couple of sound decoders available for my favourite locos.

regards
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Quote from: SteamGene on September 25, 2008, 06:58:28 PM
Charles,
I'm trying to be practical!  :o  I have four K-4s - one Bachmann, one PFM, and two Proto 2000s.  I have a Mantua 2-8-4 lettered for the VT&P.  That's five Kanawhas!  I have over 50 locomotives - far more than I need.  But $99 for an undec is a good price.
I'll be interested in your attempt to install a footboard pilot on the Bachmann. 
Gene