"N' GP40 LOCO, DUMMY LOCO & CABOOSE U.P.

Started by Babs, September 24, 2008, 07:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babs

After a recent tour of depots, in towns that my grandfather worked at in CA. (Barstow, Yermo, & Kelso). I recently purchaced my first model. I got the Bachmann "N" GP40 LOCO, DUMMY LOCO & CABOOSE - Union Pacific, Item No. 69853...  because it looked like the one my grandfather drove. Can someone please tell me what era/ca it was in use?

jayl1

GP (general purpose)40s were built between 1965 & 1971.

Babs

Thanks for your reply. The one I bought appears to be a later modle than I thought, however looks very similar, and my grandfather probibly drove that GP40 as well before retireing. Do you know what U. P. engines would have been used ca. 1953-1959 to push/pull freight trains up steep grades? As I recall, there were 3-4 engines hooked together for this task.

jayl1

For your time period - GP7 and GP9, SD7 & SD9, F7 A & B units, E units (passenger), among others.  I would guess if there were 3-4 units on a train they may have been F units.  A units nhad a round nose & B units had no engineer controls & ran with the A units in an A B B A style many times.    Do a search for the Union Pacific Historical Society.  They may have information on their website.

Yampa Bob

Jay is accurate with his list.

Here is the all time roster for UP.  Scroll down for the era you want.

http://utahrails.net/all-time/all-time-index.php
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Babs

Wow! Thanks for the info guys. I will follow those leads and check back to see if there is an "N" model for the engine I'm looking for. My "rail tramp"  siblings (and I mean that as the HIGHEST complament) will be extatic if I can find these for Christmas.