News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Track Pseudo-Easements

Started by Joe Satnik, September 09, 2008, 12:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

A question was asked about easements on another thread.  Here is the "meat" of my reply:

"The easiest pseudo-easements using EZ-Track would be:

a 33-1/4"R 18 degree section leading into a
26"R curve, and

a 35-1/2"R 18 degree section leading into a
28"R curve."

Here are two others I have thought up:

33-1/4"R-12 degree section leading into a
26"R-18 degree section leading into a
18"R curve.

Same two leading into a
15"R curve (perhaps overkill).

So far, these examples have the perfect # of degrees, and are symmetrical (split into mirror images) at 90 degrees. 

Future examples may not have both.

Remember that ovals with easements or pseudo-easements take up more space than ovals without. 

You would need flex track to create "bent stick" or "spiral" (real) easements. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

edit: spelling
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jsmvmd

Dear Joe,

Again, thanks a million!  Will have to scratch my head regarding curves and degrees.  I am much better growing tomatoes.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Joe Satnik

Dear Jack,

Thanks for the kind words.

Curves can be confusing.  The term "Degrees of Curvature" is used in surveying and laying track on the 1:1 railroads.  We will avoid that term for now and just concentrate on simple

"Magnetic Needle Compass" degrees.

A compass has a face that is divided into 360 degrees.  Zero degrees points North, 90 degrees points East, 180 degrees points South, 270 degrees points West, and 360 (or zero) degrees points North again.

Imagine a miniature engineer going around a circle of sectional track.  If he looked at his compass each time he came to a new track section, he would notice his compass had changed the exact # of degrees as his section of track. 

360 degrees / # of sections of track per circle = # of degrees per section. 

Same equation switched around:

360 degrees / # of degrees per section = # of sections of track per circle.

Example: 18"R sectional track comes in 30 degree sections.  360/30 = 12 sections of track per circle. 

Example: 26"R sectional track is 20 per circle.  360/20 = 18 degrees per section. 

Example: Grandpa gives junior a box of 18"R half curves.  (As above, 18"R full curves are 30 degree sections.)  How many does he need to make a full circle?

Half sections must be 30/2 = 15 degrees per half section.  360/15 = 24 half sections per full circle.

Advanced:  ToysAmI wants to make sectional curved track that can turn 90 degrees (= one quarter circle).  What are his choices for degrees per section? 

Answers:
90/1 = 90 degrees per section,
90/2 = 45 dps,
90/3 = 30 dps,
90/4 = 22.5 dps,
90/5 = 18 dps,
90/6 = 15 dps,
90/7 ?=? 12.86 dps,
90/8 = 11.25 dps,
90/9 = 10 dps,
90/10 = 9 dps
etc. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jsmvmd

Dear Joe,

Printed and saved!  Again, Thanks Two Million!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

The last HO EZ-Track pseudo-easement recipe is for the 22" radius curve.

The recipe is not perfect, read on.   

FYI The normal 22"R curve is 16 per circle, or 22-1/2 degrees per section.

Replace the first normal 22"R curve (coming off a straight) with a 12 degree 33-1/4"R section, followed by a half-22"R (= 11-1/4 degree) curve.

Problem:  Assuming four transitions on an oval (into and out-of each of the two 180 degree turns), the oval will have 363 degrees of turning, when only 360 are needed.  That is 3 degrees off from perfect. 

This will create a slightly "peanut shaped" oval.  I don't know whether or not this is visible, or if it will derail a train.

Dear Terry T. or Bachmann...

Do either of you have the sections needed to try this recipe out?

12 ea. 22"R curve                (44503-4/pkg or 44583 bulk)
4 ea. 12 degree 33-1/4"R curve   (44509-4/pkg)
4 ea. Half 22"R curve            (44532-4/pkg)
9 ea. 9" straights               (44511-4/pkg or 44581 bulk)
1 ea. 9" straight terminal re-railer with wire (44510)

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Terry Toenges

I'll have to see what I have in the garage.
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe Satnik

Dear Terry,

Thanks for your help. 

If it helps:

You could substitute 2 full 22"R curves for the 4 half 22"R curves. 

They are in the recipe only to allow a (mirror image) split in the 180 degree turns at 90 degrees.

Again, thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik