News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 Info

Started by ctrrfan1, September 25, 2008, 10:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctrrfan1

I am a long term model railroader just getting into garden railroading and am looking to purchase a K27 as this is one of my favorite locomotives.
The review in Railroad Model Craftsman seemed to indicate that this locomotive had set a new level of excellence in the hobby.

But when I check online on some of the forums it seems that there is a lot of hostility towards Bachmann and the K27 by some whom I thought knew something.

When I search the Bachmann forum I can find nothing about what they are talking about here so I thought I would ask.

I know a little about drive trains from the smaller scales and the concept of thrust bearing and flywheels seem to me like a good idea but when I read the long thread on mylargescale Barry of BBT claims they are worthless and since his drive trains are well recommended I would think he would know what he is talking about.

What's the scoop.

Jim

Jon D. Miller

Jim,
The K-27 is a very good locomotive as it comes from Bachmann.

Here is a link to my GRBLOG that contains a number of topics devoted to the K-27.  You might find them of some insight.  There are also links to You Tube videos of the K-27 in operation.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php?blog=4

Just remember that some folks have their own "agenda" that may shade their view of both Bachmann Industries and the K-27.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Cascade Northern

Quote from: ctrrfan1 on September 25, 2008, 10:08:58 AM
When I search the Bachmann forum I can find nothing about what they are talking about here so I thought I would ask.

This is because the posts keep getting deleated :-\

CCSII

Quote from: Jon D. Miller on September 25, 2008, 01:53:30 PM
Jim,
The K-27 is a very good locomotive as it comes from Bachmann.

Here is a link to my GRBLOG that contains a number of topics devoted to the K-27.  You might find them of some insight.  There are also links to You Tube videos of the K-27 in operation.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php?blog=4

Just remember that some folks have their own "agenda" that may shade their view of both Bachmann Industries and the K-27.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

And that plays both ways.

DaleW

CCSII
I too am interested in the K 27. Please elaborate on "and that plays both ways". The K 27 appears to be a very nice engine but not an inexpensive engine. Before I shell out my dollars I want to be informed.

Dale

Cascade Northern

From what I hear, since I do not own one, is that the Plug and Play (PNP) board which is said to work with everything works with very little without some work.  Now maybe the second run of Ks will have a fixed board........oh....right.....run #2 was canceled.  I wonder why :P  Anyway, the engine is a good one, I have run it once and it is a very good puller.  The only downside to the K, is the stupid PNP board that doesn't work.  Sadly this is the same board that is in the new Mallet.  You know, what is that saying.....if it works, don't touch it.  Bachmann, your locomotives were great, and they still are, hence they worked......so why did you touch it? >:(

glennk28

There was an issue with excessive play in the driver cranks--but if you contact Bachmann, you send them proof ou purchase-(copy of sales receipt) and they send you the parts--and you have a fun afternoon changing them.  There are a bunch of posts on here about it.  Go back to around [18] and you will be in the middle of the posts when the K-27 came out.  Lots of info there.  gj

chuckger

Guy's.
  I have a K got it at the ECLTS. I was told that it had the new counter weights, set up some track and have been running it at least  half an hour to an hour every week. To date no problems.
  I am going to convert to battery power using Li ion batteries and RCS, also plan on putting in sound. The RCS plugs into the socket with no problem or changes required.
  I have been running using a MRC 20 volt power pack pulling 10 b-man tank cars. This is a hefty engine and most likely could  pull twice what I'm running. I have not seen a singel post anywhere complaining about the electronics in the engine.
  If you like the engine get one.

Chuck

CCSII

Quote from: DaleW on October 05, 2008, 06:26:27 PM
CCSII
I too am interested in the K 27. Please elaborate on "and that plays both ways". The K 27 appears to be a very nice engine but not an inexpensive engine. Before I shell out my dollars I want to be informed.

Dale

What I am saying is that there are agendas on both sides driving some discussions. A grain of salt may be needed.

Tony Walsham

Quote from: chuckger on October 06, 2008, 08:40:24 AM
Guy's.
  I have a K got it at the ECLTS. I was told that it had the new counter weights, set up some track and have been running it at least  half an hour to an hour every week. To date no problems.
  I am going to convert to battery power using Li ion batteries and RCS, also plan on putting in sound. The RCS plugs into the socket with no problem or changes required.
  I have been running using a MRC 20 volt power pack pulling 10 b-man tank cars. This is a hefty engine and most likely could  pull twice what I'm running. I have not seen a singel post anywhere complaining about the electronics in the engine.
  If you like the engine get one.

Chuck

Hi Chuck.

I have replied to your private E mail to me but it has been bounced by your ISP for spam content.
That means I have no way of contacting you other than by telephone.
If you could send me an E mail with the telephone # I will call you at a time that is convenient for you.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

chuckger

Tony,
  Try sending it through MLS  e mail first  iif that dosent work I'll email you my phone number.

Thanks Chuck

Tony Walsham

Chuck.
Ooooooops.

I did find your user name at MLS. 
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).