Train whistle not working...G-scale Train Set

Started by natasha, September 25, 2008, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natasha

Recently purchased a G-scale "Northstar Express" set which has the capability of sounds/whistle etc. Train works wonderfully and makes a great chugga and steam sound, but it will not whistle. Also, there seem to be two lights, one on the front of the engine, and one facing backwards on the coal car, directly above the 9v battery compartment. This second light also does not work.

Could this be a wiring problem? or is there a button I don't see.

This train is brand new, never opened box - but I purchased it at an estate sale, and it seems exact model is no longer being sold. I am not exactly sure what year it was made. Would the warrenty be current for my purchase? the card is inside.

I don't have a Bachman dealer close to me. but I love this train.
-Natasha

Jon D. Miller

Natasha,

There is no whistle or bell sound.  The Northstar Express has chuff only. The sound is very basic without the extras of whistle or bell.

It's been a long time since I had a Northstar apart.  As I remember, even though there is a backup light on the tender it is not wired or have a bulb that illuminates in reverse.  There are any number of Bachmann "set" locomotives that have the backup light that is not set up to illuminate in reverse.

Loco Bill or the Bach Man could give you a more educated answer on the Northstar's backup light.

"One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

Natasha,

Bachmann made two different G Scale North Star Express sets.  The first was the 90018 set with a red/maroon & black locomotive and matching caboose.

The other was 90051 and was the North Pole & Southern christmas paint job sold thru Sam's Club.   

Jon is totally correct about the bell & whistle sounds.  No Bachmann G Scale set was ever made with them.   The only sound is the chuff. 

As for the rear light, some locomotives were made with an operating backup light and some were not.   The easiest way to tell if you have the light in the rear is to look at the wires leading from the tender to the locomotive.  There is one set for the chuff sound and will have the word sound on the connector.  If you have an operating backup light there will be a second set of wires which have the word lights on the connector.  Be sure the light wires are firmly connected to the locoomotive if you have them.  If there is no second set of wires then your locomotive is not equipped with an opereating backup light.

Sounds like you have made a great find!!

Enjoy your train.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!