News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Buzzing in stationary Bachmann Davenport

Started by Chris G, November 23, 2008, 05:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris G

Hello all,
Just connected my LENZ 100 to a loop of track to get comfortable with DCC. This is first DCC experience. Ran a Bachmann 0n30 Davenport and Forney. When stationary they give off a buzzing sound. Any ideas ?

Thanks Chris ???

jestor

In my experience, most Bachmann decoders come from the factory with the start voltage value (CV#2) set at 10.  This may be too high allowing a small amount of voltage to the motor.  Suggest you adjust the start voltage to zero and see if that buzz goes away.  If it does,  then you can  gradually increase  the value again to achieve the best starting performance.  Hope this helps.   ;)

Chris G

Thanks Jestor, will give it a go and let you know.

Chris

Chris G

Hi Jestor,
Looked a bit further into my LENZ 100 with digital handpiece.
Davenport stops with 5 volts still going to it.
Starts at about 5 volts too.
It has 28 speed step decoder in it.
Is it possible to adjust decoder so my first click (depression of key pad) on controller gets it going ?
As is it needs 5 clicks to get movement ?

Ta Chris

jestor

Hi Chris. Just got in from work and read your post. The idea behind adjusting the start voltage (CV2) is to set it high enough so that the engine begins to move at speed step 1, which you referred to as click 1.  If  it takes 4 or 5 clicks to start, that means you are already on speed step 4 or 5 (of 38) just to get it to start.  The recommended procedure is to raise the start voltage one value at a time until you get the desired starting performance.  I don't think the standard Bachmann decoders support readback of CV values, but the literature that came with it will show what values are set from the factory. Failing that just pick a number(say 10) and start from there, going up or down one value at a time til you find the setting that comes closest to getting it to just start moving at speed step 1. This procedure can take some time; setting then testing.  By the way, your track voltage should go to zero at speed step zero.  Hope this helps.                                                                                                                      Mike N

Chris G