Breddask Senn Works - Wooden Railway Scratchbuilds!

Started by ZeldaTheSwordsman, September 27, 2008, 12:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Updates on Annie and the dairy van:

I apoligise for the crappy lighting.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on October 02, 2008, 11:50:40 PM
It isn't. I've looked at the pictures of the dairy van, and it's built very differently from the cattle truck. I happen to own Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection, so I have access to the stories and illustrations whenever, which has helped me out of a fair few tight spots.
Stop acting like you know it all. :P I have the book too and its very close enough. You're wasting your time.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

It's not close enough for me, and besides, I enjoy this. So there. ;D

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Hate double post, but Annie has progressed further, pics to come this afternoon. Work has recommenced on Clarabel. Expect RWS Annie and Clarabel, RWS Dairy van, and the signal box to be done by the end of next week. Gotta be ready for my layout's grand opening on the 25th.

Santa Fe buff

The Dairly Van looks nice so far. I look forward to those pictures.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

ThomasFan247

Quote from: Sparks on October 11, 2008, 08:53:23 PM
It isn't. I've looked at the pictures of the dairy van, and it's built very differently from the cattle truck. I happen to own Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection, so I have access to the stories and illustrations whenever, which has helped me out of a fair few tight spots.
Stop acting like you know it all. :P I have the book too and its very close enough. You're wasting your time.
Hey, it's something he wants to do. I made a Henrietta (though it sucks) even though I knew she was comming out (but it was back in March). Anyway, just Z be. No harm no foul.

-Chris

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Thomas. on December 08, 2008, 08:04:10 PM
Quote from: Sparks on October 11, 2008, 08:53:23 PM
Hey, it's something he wants to do. I made a Henrietta (though it sucks) even though I knew she was comming out (but it was back in March). Anyway, just Z be. No harm no foul.

-Chris
I'm trying to save him time.

And no offense, but your doing Annie wrong. All you'd need to do is get a bogie coach kit. I believe RATIO has the accurate type. Using the Bachmann model for parts means you're building Annie to a London, Brighton and South Coast design, as thats where the TV series based her prototype from. And even for bogie coaches of the LBSCR, kits exist, and I believe RTR in Southern Railway livery. Basic conclusion: You're inaccurate. Its not Railway Series at all.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Knuckles thought otherwise. It looks close enough, and Annie and Clarabel have no direct prototype, after all. Plus, and I can't stress this enough, my money is pretty frakking tight. I'm a 16-year-old whose sole source of income is a $5-a-week allowance. Which I am currently saving to buy track with which to begin my tabletop layout(in addition to what track I already have). Next on the list to save up for: Emily.
In any case, here's the latest on Annie:

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 10, 2008, 10:57:15 PM
Knuckles thought otherwise. It looks close enough, and Annie and Clarabel have no direct prototype, after all. Plus, and I can't stress this enough, my money is pretty frakking tight. I'm a 16-year-old whose sole source of income is a $5-a-week allowance. Which I am currently saving to buy track with which to begin my tabletop layout(in addition to what track I already have). Next on the list to save up for: Emily.
In any case, here's the latest on Annie:

The TV series don't, but the Railway Series DOES. And I like the irony. A kit for Annie would be CHEAPER than Emily. :P

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Are you kidding? According to Martin Clutterbuck's site, Wikipedia, and other places, the RWS Annie and Clarabel do NOT have specific prototypes. They have had four different forms under as many different illustrators. :o So accuracy is kinda debatable(silly illustrators). Knuckles, whom maybe one or two here come close to when it comes to modelling, thinks mine are alright(praise from him is valuable). Unfortunately, I am bereft of his advice because that <censored> Tom banned me(and won't give a valid reason to ANYBODY >:(). If you're complaining about the roof, rest assured that it'll be revamped. ;) I only inserted it for these photos because it has the glazing for the windows attached and I wanted to show that. As for money, I'm barely gonna make it on buying the extra track for the tabletop layout in time for the holidays. Oh, and as soon as I've unwrapped him on the 25th, I will make a snowplough for my Hornby Thomas.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 11, 2008, 08:25:39 PM
Are you kidding? According to Martin Clutterbuck's site, Wikipedia, and other places, the RWS Annie and Clarabel do NOT have specific prototypes. They have had four different forms under as many different illustrators. :o So accuracy is kinda debatable(silly illustrators). Knuckles, whom maybe one or two here come close to when it comes to modelling, thinks mine are alright(praise from him is valuable). Unfortunately, I am bereft of his advice because that <censored> Tom banned me(and won't give a valid reason to ANYBODY >:(). If you're complaining about the roof, rest assured that it'll be revamped. ;) I only inserted it for these photos because it has the glazing for the windows attached and I wanted to show that. As for money, I'm barely gonna make it on buying the extra track for the tabletop layout in time for the holidays. Oh, and as soon as I've unwrapped him on the 25th, I will make a snowplough for my Hornby Thomas.
Not to argue, I'm just criticizing. Annie and Clarabels prototypes are debatable by illustration, but Awdrys models probably have them hands down as LMS Suburban Coaches. If I'm correct, the LMS might of been one of the nearest railways to the NWR, so it makes sense. And I do like your Annie model, but I just wouldn't call it Railway Series. As for Knuckles' opinion; does it matter? He told you that awhile ago, and to add, its just one opinion. He has debates on accuracy as well. :P

As for the Snowplough, I suggest just bashing the Bachmann Thomas' snowplough onto Hornbys. Best result for accuracy.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I don't have it, and will be unlikely to obtain it before the 25th NEXT YEAR. I want to have a grand official opening of my tabletop layout on the 25th or thereabouts. RWS Thomas with his train, Henry and Gordon alternating with a 4-coach express, and Edward pulling various trains. As for Annie, she pre-dates the RWS. Awdry's original model of Annie was scratch-built when he was in high school(or the British equivalent thereof).

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Look who came.

W.I.P. RWS Thomas posing with W.I.P. Kenney-style* Annie

*Could be considered RWS by some, but to avoid argument...

P.S. Anybody know how to make different coal rails, or will I have to improvise?

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 30, 2008, 10:22:37 PM
Look who came.

W.I.P. RWS Thomas posing with W.I.P. RWS* Annie

*As portrayed by John T. Kenney. Rather incomplete, I'm in need of black paint to redo the roof, for one thing.

P.S. Anybody know how to make different coal rails, or will I have to improvise?
Who was still an illustration error...

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I will present my arguments on the subject to you in a PM later, but did either Awdry actually state specifically that they were ex-LMS Suburban Coaches? ??? If you present a genuine official statement I'll back down. Anyway, what about Thomas? I only belatedly realised those photos were taken before I made the changes, I'll take some new ones and put them up soon. The changes: Straightened back running plate, inaccurate coal rails cut off, new whistle, cab doors cut off, running plate top blacked.