News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

P2k 0-8-0 Wheel slippage

Started by Bill Baker, October 17, 2008, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

I have a P2k 0-8-0 in which the right rear driver is slipping causing it to become out of sync and bind the drivers.  I've tried to add a small amount of CA to the end of the axle to bind the wheel to the axle, but it hasn't worked.  Does anyone have any other idea how to secure the wheel?

Thanks, Bill
Bill

Yampa Bob

Hi Bill
The best way I've found to secure a loose driver is by adding a "key", similar to a woodruff key.

First, make sure all the drivers are aligned perfectly.  With a fine point scriber, make an index mark on the wheel and axle end.

Remove the wheel, cut a small keyway slot on the inside of the wheel and end of axle at the marks with a thin edge pointed file. Put the wheel on the axle and line up the notches.  Cut off a one inch piece of wood toothpick, drive the pointed end into the notch, cut the pick flush with the wheel.  Secure with a drop of CA, wait a few seconds then spray with CA accelerator.

Alternate method:  With the wheels aligned, drive a short dressmaker's pin or needle between the axle and wheel then cut/file flush.

Tip:  A short sewing needle mounted in a small hand vise makes a handy scriber.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ta152h0

If i may add my two cents worth. I had a MARKLIN 4-6-4 do exactly that and i removed the wheel and squeezed yhe axle with with my father's big old vise while still on the locomotive. it is on the brute force side of fixing things but it worked. After carefull afterthought ( my father who is an aircraft engineer filled my ears with advice, suggested I use a centering punch and punch the bore of the driving wheel ). Suddenly that idea of upsetting the bore made more sense. ;D ;D ;D