News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track cleaner- looks/feels like an eraser

Started by ta152h0, October 14, 2008, 12:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

but it costs over 5 bucks to acquire. what is it that makes it $ 5.59 ?

pdlethbridge

Running Bear

I used to use an ink pen eraser to clean stubborn areas. You can find them at any good office supply store.
Running Bear

richG

If you use anything like that or use a Bright Boy, vacuum up afterward. The residue will cause problems in the future. Make an adapter to use a smaller I.D. hose. There might even be an adapter for this purpose when using a vacuum.

Rich

Santa Fe buff

I find cork a pretty good one, but it doesn't get hard in stains, but I think KCS 1 solved that. I believe Steam Gene mentioned alcohol, and a mixture of something else... ???
- Joshua Bauer

rogertra

It's best not to use ANY form of abrasive when cleaning track and or wheels.  99% Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) applied with a soft cloth is a good cleaner.

Jhanecker2

Electronic stores sell adapters for vaccum cleaners . My kit comes with a reducer , a straight wand , an angled wand , a wide brush , a narrow brush , and a crevice tool . These are normally used to clean computer keyboards and small areas .

Rangerover

I find that using MAAS or FLITZ metal polish is the best for me. I use a dowel with a soft cloth such as an old worn out tee shirt wrapped aroun the end and apply a small amount then wipe clean. Years ago we evend used Colgate toothpaste. I have a lot of mountains with tunnels and reach in to get most of the track, some mountains I have removeable panels. Any abrasive is "bad" because it puts micro scratches in the metal and you have to constantly clean it, I've heard some modelers have to clean track every time they run trains. I clean mine once every 6 months or so with the polish. Another thing is to make sure you clean the wheels on all loco's and cars, else you put the "crud" right back on the track.

By the way I have all track metals on my layout, Nickle Silver, Brass and even steel. If you use Backmann easy track (black roadbed) it's steel. I clean the steel with the polish and put an extremely light coat of WD 40 on the rails if you see sparks under the loco wheels.

Since I'm retired, I run my trains at least 3 times a week, the more you run them the less cleaning you have to do!

ta152h0

I just thought it had exotic metals in it like gold dust maybe ? I am also retired and enjoying running my train when i want for as long as i want and by golly, i am the engineer of this train and i can blast my horn anytime I want........................

Running Bear

Quote from: Rangerover on October 15, 2008, 10:00:43 AMI've heard some modelers have to clean track every time they run trains. I clean mine once every 6 months or so with the polish.
You have to clean yours that often? I cleaned mine with Blue Magic metal polish back in '05 and haven't had to clean it again since, just a quick wipe down with a clean cloth once in a while.
Running Bear

Rangerover

[/quote]You have to clean yours that often? I cleaned mine with Blue Magic metal polish back in '05 and haven't had to clean it again since, just a quick wipe down with a clean cloth once in a while.
[/quote]

Well I really don't know how long I can run them without cleaning, I clean the track with the polish about every 6 months, I believe in maintaining my layout to avoid problems. Besides being retired I have the time and it's all part of routine. I also put a little grease/oil in the gear boxes on the loco's.  every once in awhile.

ta152h0

I clean track at least as often asi oil the rolling stock, including the locomotive. Radio Shack contact cleaner works to a degree. I had just bought the eraser like piece for the more grungy looking rail tops. Running DCC in my experience requires absolutely cleal rail tops. and tight rail joiners

NelsOn-30

ta152h0 

To answer your original post.

It is a type of eraser containing an abrasive for metal polishing.

A major factor in establishing price is what people are willing to pay. ($5.59)
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR