News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RC battery power for Annie Big Hauler

Started by lrparks, September 30, 2008, 04:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrparks

I'm looking for a really simply rc system for an Annie. Not really looking for much more than stop and go. The Crest CRE55492 system looks to be very simple. Will it work? I can get the transmitter/receiver combo for around $180. If not are there any comparable systems that will work? Thanks.

calenelson

When I began in LS Battery and RC, I chose the Evo from Tony Walshman (Bachmann 45 tonner)...I was pleased enough to move over to the RSC Elite (also from Tony with a different control, same principal) as I progressed...All of my locos are either converted using RCS or awaiting installation! 

EVO Link Below:
http://www.evo-rc.net/home.php

cale-a happy customer!

I have converted an Annie to battery, it was a pretty simple install!  I purchase my gear from Dave Goodson of NWRCS!
http://dnkgoods.home.mindspring.com/

Cascade Northern

RCS is simple to do.  I have two Bachmann locomotives (2-8-0 and 2T Shay), both have been done by Goodson, and I have never had a problem with them.....unless you count not charging them ::) my bad......  I have looked at the inside the tender of the 2-8-0 to see the RCS, it looks scary at first, but if you just follow the wires one at a time, it makes since, and looks easy.  My next engine, which sadly  :'( will not be a Bachmann due to the new, great, crappy (to be polite) "SUPER" socket >:(, I will do the RCS myself.

Loco Bill Canelos

The Train Engineer you mentioned will work perfectly in your Annie, and is super simple to do, everything will fit in the tender. No trail car will be needed.  I use 14.8 Volt Li-Ion batteries and get 5 1/2 continuous hours run time with 11 cars.  I use it and recommend it.  Totally trouble free for me!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

I would agree will Loco Bill on the use of the Crest RC system.

As Bill mentions, installation in the Annie is easy.  I have several Annie's with the Crest RC system.  They have been trouble free.

Crest-a good choice that will serve you well.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Oh, also did not find it necessary to "shill" for a dealer/installer. ::)
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

calenelson

LRParks, please excuse me just one moment.

Quote from: Jon D. Miller on October 01, 2008, 12:38:27 AM
Oh, also did not find it necessary to "shill" for a dealer/installer. ::)

Jon,

Neither did I (see definition below), but as a business owner I understand how important a Personal Referral can be.  In response to the initial post I did recommend the RCS brand and even posted where I choose to buy said product (Dave Goodson-NWRCS). 

The reasons; unlike "Crest" (Aristocraft) which can be purchased at nearly any Hobby Shop in the US, the RCS/EVO products are sold exclusively through a limited but Intensely Customer Focused group of  individual dealers here in the States (I've worked with all 3 in one sense or another), and while Tony seems to have worked over the interface for locating a US sales rep for his product on his site, in times past it was tough for some to navigate.

as to "shilling"
from Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

QuoteA shill is an associate of a person selling goods or services or a political group, who pretends no association to the seller/group and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer. The intention of the shill is, using crowd psychology, to encourage others unaware of the set-up to purchase said goods or services or support the political group's ideological claims. Shills are often employed by confidence artists. In the UK the term plant is also used.

Shilling is illegal in many circumstances and in many jurisdictions because of the frequently fraudulent and damaging character of their actions. However, if a shill does not place uninformed parties at a risk of loss, but merely generates "buzz", the shill's actions may be legal. For example, a person planted in an audience to laugh and applaud when appropriate (see "claque"), or to participate in on-stage activities as a "random member of the audience", is a type of legal shill.

"Shill" can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws. In this sense, they would be an implicit "shill" for the industry at large, as their income is tied to its prosperity.

Again, I am no "associate" of any above mentioned company or service provider.  Simply a satisfied customer!  In no way did my post "heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings" quite the contrary; RCS has been a fabulous choice for me and the kids to further enhance our LS Train hobby utilizing our Bachmann 45 tonner, Annies, American, Rail-Truck, Porter and Climax!

Mr. Parks, I'd encourage you to investigate all control systems avail and try the one that you believe would suit your interest the best.  We can all agree the Annie is a pretty simple install and all components can easily fit into the tender!  It is also a great engine to begin your RC-Battery journey with-Good Luck!

here are some other forums you may want to look over as well:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/index.php

and

http://www.mylargescale.com/

Sincerely,
Cale Nelson, Dad of IV

lrparks

I thank everyone for their opinion. It seems either system will work for me.

Quote from: calenelson on September 30, 2008, 05:49:21 PM
When I began in LS Battery and RC, I chose the Evo from Tony Walshman (Bachmann 45 tonner)...I was pleased enough to move over to the RSC Elite (also from Tony with a different control, same principal) as I progressed...All of my locos are either converted using RCS or awaiting installation! 

EVO Link Below:
http://www.evo-rc.net/home.php

cale-a happy customer!

I have converted an Annie to battery, it was a pretty simple install!  I purchase my gear from Dave Goodson of NWRCS!
http://dnkgoods.home.mindspring.com/

If I went with the EVO it looks like I could use any Tx. However, would it be recommended that I go with the Tx-4 or is there a cheaper one that would work just as well.

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on September 30, 2008, 11:40:41 PM
The Train Engineer you mentioned will work perfectly in your Annie, and is super simple to do, everything will fit in the tender. No trail car will be needed.  I use 14.8 Volt Li-Ion batteries and get 5 1/2 continuous hours run time with 11 cars.  I use it and recommend it.  Totally trouble free for me!!

What mAh battery did you use to get the 5 1/2 hours if you don't mind me asking.

calenelson

The beauty of the "EVO" throttle is it's ability to receive TX from a simple 2 stick (RC Car) controller, those can be had brand new for under $50 (ex: Tower Hobbies)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARP0**&P=0

-you may even have one laying around the house?

The TX24 is used with the "RCS" throttles, it is a "Deck of Cards" sized controller that can control upwards of 100+ locomotives.  I only have two (2) TX-24 for all of my engines...not that big of a deal with the folded dog-bone loop of track I currently have laid (just enough for my 3 and 5 yr olds!). 

cale

Cascade Northern

Another beauty about RCS, to add to calenelson last post, is that you can multiple locomotive and only one control.  Meaning that, my two locomotives have different recieving codes, but the same frequency so I only have to buy one controller.  When I run them (only one at a time mind you), I just have to make sure that the recieving code is the same as the locomotive's.  Saves some money.

jsmvmd

Dear "LR,"

"Atlantic Central" on this forum is a TE user and would have much good information for you to use to compare systems.  Would suggest you do a search for his name and/or TE.

I bought a TE system and will install it as soon as I get my new digs arranged, some time after Christmas.  Will post it when done.

Hey, Bill!  How the heck are ya? Will contact you regarding your battery installation for LS.  Have a great autumn!!!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Loco Bill Canelos

Irparks,

I used the 2200 mah,   

http://www.all-battery.com/4tenergypcbprotectedli-ion1865037v2200mahrechargeablebatteries.aspx

Copy the above into your browser.  I just ordered several more at $28.99 for four

Jack, 

Doin good for an old man!!!  Give me a holler anytime

Bill

jsmvmd

Dear Bill,

I would like to get your procedure for building the trailing battery car for a planned garden rr.  If you would like, you could post it here or contact me via email. 

My address is:  jsmvmdataoldotcom

Thanks a million!  If I can, I will find out who our Sam's Club buyer is and get some information about the Christmas set, if there is one planned.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Loco Bill Canelos

Jack,

Here is a great site for trail car construction.   http://ovgrs.org/ then click on Battery Power and then the Power Cars.

Since they use Nmih batteries two battery packs are required to get 14.4 volts.  If you use one small Li-Ion Battery pack of 14.8 volts 2200 Mah, you would reduce the wiring by quite a bit.  With a removable roof you coud just swap out the battery pack and avoid onboard charging.

I don't like trail cars for battery operation, but if I do build one I will let you know how I do it.  I will probably follow the ovgrs method but with only one small Li-Ion battery pack  and will not use the large drill batteries that some use.

If you get any info on the SAm's set(if one is comming) Please let me know and post it in a new thread!!

Regards

jsmvmd

Dear Bill,

Would you please contact me offline regarding a question I have for battery installation in a small G scale steam switcher with a slope back tender?  It is not Bachmann and I want to see if it is easily done.

jsmvmdataolperiodcom

"Tanks" a million!

Best Wishes,

Jack